large Illustration

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
MrChoy

large Illustration

Post by MrChoy »

Hi:
I have a large illustration that a client needs re-touching but TVP can't seem to open it.
It is a 9781 x 6539 png (67meg) and I get a 'Not enough memory' warning.
I have 2 gig or RAM and the doc opens fine in photoshop (Which I do not want to use due to the rubbish drawing tools)
Any hidden settings I could tweak or am I just stuck with it?
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

Hi Mr Choy
Reduce the memory cache size to 255 or 128 MB :
Attachments
Cache Size.jpg
Cache Size.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 32215 times
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Thanks Herve but that doesn't seem to help. :(
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

you can also increase the virtual memory size of your windows
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Hmmm. the file opens fine in PainterIX too.
By Virtual memory do you mean a Windows setting or a TVP setting (Which I can't find)
TVPaint
Site Admin

Post by TVPaint »

MrChoy wrote:Hmmm. the file opens fine in PainterIX too.
By Virtual memory do you mean a Windows setting or a TVP setting (Which I can't find)
It is a Windows setting.
You can set it through the Windows Configuration Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Performances -> Advanced tab -> Virtual Memory -> Modify.

You should try by putting the same value for min and max, and both must be above 2048.
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Hi:
I set the swapfiles on my two main drives to 2048(min and Max) and I still get a 'not enough memory' warning. I don't really understand it as everything else I've tried opens it fine :?

I have done the job using Painter but would like to be able to do this kind of thing in TVP as I much prefer the brushes.
mox

Post by mox »

Did you try to convert the .png into another format (.psd included)?
Just to be sure there's nothing wrong with the .png... :wink:
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Yes. I tried psd but that didn't work either.
TVPaint
Site Admin

Post by TVPaint »

The problem is that such a big image weighs almost 255 MB in memory.

TVPaint uses several buffers intended for animation and display (that is probably why you can open it in PS or Painter). It can multiply up to 5 or 6 times this weight which give us to more than 1.5Gig.

Because Windows cannot address more than 2Gig, it can show some problems for the application which use more than 1Gig, which is the case here obviously.
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Oh well, not to worry. I haven't been asked to do anything so large before and I guess it will be a long, long time before I'm asked again.
Many thanks for your time. :)
cresshead

Post by cresshead »

would this open up on a mac version of tv paint on osx as it can address much more ram? [16gig]

also is there going to be a wni64 verions of tv paint witht eh release of vista etc?
TVPaint
Site Admin

Post by TVPaint »

It seems that such a big project can be opened without any problems on Hervé's MacBook Pro, meaning that it is definitively an issue with Windows.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

cresshead wrote:would this open up on a mac version of tv paint on osx as it can address much more ram? [16gig]
Currently TVPA is a 32 bit app, so it won't use more than 4Gig.
But MacOSX manages the memory much better than win and we can open such a big image without trouble. Even with just 1Gig of real memory (on a first gen. Intel iMac), it will open and you can work on it, but it's obviously somewhat slow with all the paging to disk that's happening.

The 16Gig limit is just a limit of the current hardware, not of MacOSX which can access the whole 64bit address space (several million MBs) once the hardware can do it (right now it will swap to disk, would be an interesting experiment to try to allocate 64Gigs of memory :).
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

I wonder if Vista will be any better. I've got a free upgrade with my tablet PC so I'll give it a go when it arrives (And I can summon the energy to install it)

I have to say though that I'm not all that keen to have Vista on my main work machine though.