Paint on lines

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Venneberg

Paint on lines

Post by Venneberg »

Hey TVPaint users!

I am working on a project in school and we want to use colored outlines for our film.
However, I cant seem to find a proper way to color the lines.

I know there are the premade brushes that color lines, but they are only in orange, red and black and I have no idea how to change their color? Or how to make new brushes like that?

And I also know that you can tick the little box in the layer that allows you to only paint on what is already drawn on the layer, the problem with that is just that it really doesn't look that good, it gives a very pixelated edge to the lines.

So I would really like to know if any of you know how to use/or create knew brush, that works like the premade paint-on-line brushes already in TVPaint?
Using TVPaint v9

thanks ahead!! :)

/Karina Venneberg
slowtiger

Re: Paint on lines

Post by slowtiger »

You can use any brush with any colour.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Just select one of the pre-made sketchline brushes (like the black line) and change the color to whatever you like using the color picker tool. You can do this with the pencil brushes, chalk brushes, etc. If you have a combination of color, width, opacity, etc you want to use over and over again, just save the brush to your bin, you can then recall it anytime you like.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Venneberg

Post by Venneberg »

hmm, now I´ve tried on several computers here at the school and none of them is able to change the color on the premade paint-on-line brushes.
Its like it doesn't react to the color picking tool. It paints black no matter what color you pick.

How do you customize a brush to only paint on lines?

Thanks a lot for replying so quickly! :)

/Karina
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

bursh should be set as "alpha stamp"
Fabrice Debarge
mnolo

Post by mnolo »

Sorry but , if I understand well, what Karina asks is how to change the color of one the ink bottles at the sketch panel keeping all along the way it works. So she could change the outlines (if they are isolated in one layer) of all the animation at once. I suppose one could just change the color code in the script...
Of course she could use the FX panel too (FX Color/Change color or curves) but it would be more fuss.
But, Fabrice, could you explain your proposal with more detail, please?
Thanks
Attachments
Line color.png
Line color.png (25.03 KiB) Viewed 15515 times
Animark

Post by Animark »

I haven't used TVPaint 9 for a long time, but can remember, that there where two versions of activating the "stencil (or mask)"-mode.
1. click on the icon at a layer
2. there is another icon at the top of your screen, nearly the grid and the ruler icons ( I cannot remember exactly)
I also remember, that one method was very unsatisfying, so I would give the second one a try. Maybe you have to cominate those two.

And you don't need a special brush for reinking lines. When they are already there, you can use any brush in combination with stencil/mask-mode. Normally I prefer to use the "filled stroke"-tool or even a big pen brush. If you use a selfmade custom brush, you should set its color-mode (the second "color" popup menue inside the tool panel) to "alpha stamp" (as fabrice said) to draw in APen-Color instead of the brush origin color.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You can also preserve the alpha channel and color the lines on the same layer.

Preserving the Alpha channel allows you to change colors of the existing lines, but you can't draw new lines.