Problem with Blur when using Position tool

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
8ball

Problem with Blur when using Position tool

Post by 8ball »

Hi all

Im animating a simple walk cycle; first i do whole body without head, and now i want to put the head on the body, frame by frame.
I draw head and i copy/paste, and do some position correction on each frame, but after 10 frames it start to blur, after 20 frames head
is compleatly distorted/blured!

sumary: 1 head on 30 frames and after each frame it is more blured.

Why is that happening ffs?

bdw: i search whole forum but didnt find anything usefull.

Ty for the answer

win7 64bit
TVPaint Pro 9.5.3. think it is 64bit
idragosani

Re: Problem with Blur when using Position tool

Post by idragosani »

Are you stamping the head in each frame as a brush (which you can save to a bin)? That's the best way to do it if you want it to be completely consistent from frame to frame.

From an animation technique perspective, I think it's better to draw the head for each frame for a more organic feel, but I understand if you prefer to have the head maintain the same look for each frame.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
8ball

Post by 8ball »

I dont use it as a brush, like i said before on first frame i draw it (in its own layer) and then copy/paste it from previous frame and do the correction with position tool.

i know what u say about "fluid" animation, and i will do that if i have more time, and right now i use walk that i do in Poser.
yea, rotoscopy.

ty for ur time
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I would grab the head as a brush and then stamp it into place on each frame (easier to position also), it's easier than copying and pasting.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
8ball

Post by 8ball »

ty 4 advice, will try it.......
but still wandering why that blur shows up.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

had you set the AA option to "Best" ?
8ball

Post by 8ball »

AA: None, Medium,Best, i try all but with no positive results.
Blur goes as gredient; best, mid, worst, after each frame getting worse. And if i copy first frame(without blur)) and think; ok, lets start again from frame 20,
then the 21st frame start to distort (zigzag over lines, like water) + blure.

strange...think it is a bug, cause why in the name of hell that will happend!?
in photoshop, or any other program u can resize, move, reposition picture 1000 of times with the same result over and over.

can someone pls try to do the same process as i am, and tell me the results?

TY
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

This is a bug in 9.5.3, long since solved.
Update your version to the latest version, which is 9.5.21
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Henk Beumers

Post by Henk Beumers »

Hi all.
Isn't this the result of a bitmap image? If your image size is HD, than the head of a character will be in brush size not mutch more than 300x300 pixels. If you use this brush and rotate and repossition it, it has to be recalculated. This recalculation causes a little blur to the brush. No harm doen when you use the original brush in every new frame. But if you copy the first repositioned brush and use it again for the second frame you get a new blur on the already blured first image. And so on and so on. After a few times there is nothing left.
If your brush is pasted for the first time, copy this image as many times as needed for the animation. Move with transform tool Ctr-T. you can rotate, scale and reposition. After you applied the movement in the first frame. goto the second frame and click apply in the transform window. the transform tool will now goto the possition of the first frame since TVP remembers the last setting. Make you adjustment for frame two and click apply. Go to frame 3 and repeat. In this way all your blurs are the same. If you find this not exeptable, you can fix this with a covolution setting (sharpen) But don't overdo it because it's most of the time wors than the blur. You can also do this in the motion keyframer.
The better way is to start in a higher resolution so there are simply be more pixels to your brush. The recalculation will be more accurate and the blur is "less". Still you should never copy the brush you already repositioned. Always use the original brush stored in your brush bin. If you don't want to use a higher resolution project, it's good practice to copy your brush to a new project and enlarge it a few times. Retouch that blured drawing so your lines will stay the same size. Make it a brush and return to your project. Now your brush is much bigger. store in the bin for futher use. Procede as above.
TVP works with 72 dpi frames. You cannot ajust that as far as I know. So you need to size up the number of pixels. Fot HD you work in 3880x2160, or bigger if needed. Note that you will need a heavy machine once you go to these sizes.
To compare this with Photoshop ( you shoudn't ) in a 72 dpi image you will have the same effect if you rotate and resize a cutout of this image.

Henk.
Henk Beumers
TVP 10.05.7 pro 64 bits W7 pro 64 bits. Intel i5 2.67. Mem 16gig.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My workflow often includes copying a part of the image and pasting the cutbrush in the bin for further use. When I use it, I rotate and paste often, and the results are sometimes as bad as described: because Antialiasing is set to "none".

I noticed that every new cutbrush is stored in the bin with "none" by default. I can save it with "best", but the interface requires too many steps for this, so I nearly never think of doing that. Is it possible to change the default behaviour for saving brushes to always be set to "best"?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

slowtiger wrote:... Is it possible to change the default behaviour for saving brushes to always be set to "best"?
+1!
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You're not wrong. We now have powerful computers that don't really make the difference between non and best anti aliasing.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

On a side note, there seems to be quite a lot of default parameters which I'd like to be able to set in my preferences once and for all. Others may have the same or different wishes. Maybe we should compile a list of them?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Don't hesitate to create a topic in the feature request forum.