Temp file & SSD drive Setup

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
JohnArtbox

Temp file & SSD drive Setup

Post by JohnArtbox »

Hi I've just installed an SSD drive for fast access to video and compositing files. My idea is that if i maintain project files for the current project and all cache/temp files on the SSD, accessing should become much faster. At the same time I've read posts discouraging the use of the same drive for cache and project files.
1.Is my thinking correct or have I missed something obvious?
2. Are there any other files or settings that should be changed apart from the temp directory?
3. Can I move my bins etc to the SSD for faster access?
Thanks
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Temp file & SSD drive Setup

Post by ematecki »

On a "real" hard-drive, because the head has to physically move, which takes times (*a lot*, compared to the speed of todays Flash memory, it's a factor between 10.000 and 100.000 depending on the exact hardware you have), it is discouraged to put your projects and the temp file on the same drive.
With a SSD drive, because that seek time doesn't exists (there are no mechanical parts), there will be almost no penalty by putting both types of files on the same drive.
You will still read and write on the same drive, which may be limited by the bandwidth of the sata bus, but that's small compared to the limitation impaired by the mechanical seek time of hard-drives.

To move your config (containing bins, tools, etc) to another location, do the following:

Copy the following folder on your SSD drive (call it "configs" so you know what it contains ;)
C:/users/<yourusername>/AppData/roaming/tvp animation */
Where <yourusername> is your windows users name, and * depends on the exact version of TVPA you have (looks like "10 Pro").

Now you have to start TVPA with the Startup Panel.
Go to Edit>Preferences>Startup, and choose Startup Panel in the popup.
Then quit and restart TVPaint.
In the (small) Startup Panel that appears, in the popup under "Configuration", choose "Change Folder" and select the folder you created with your configs.
Click "OK", and you're all set.
If you don't like the startup panel, you can now disable it again.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
JohnArtbox

Re: Temp file & SSD drive Setup

Post by JohnArtbox »

Thanks ematecki
Good to get the reassurance. The SSD drive setup is working as well as I'd hoped. Everything is running considerably faster, and when I back up my projects I can copy the various bins across into my project folder.