Workflow with TVP and a Cintiq

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Markelim

Workflow with TVP and a Cintiq

Post by Markelim »

Hi guys, i have finally decided to consider buying TVP after my latest purchase, a cintiq. I downloaded the demo and tried it and i love it. I have a few questions before i make the purchase though.

1) How are you guys, who have cintiqs using TVP, i have the smallest size cintiq so i don't have that much space, is there a way to just put the canvas and keep the toolbars and others on my primary display ? or do you guys do something more efficient ?

2) How important is the x-sheet, i can't decide whether i will need it in the future. Its either the standard or professional edition

3) if i buy the standard edition, can i upgrade to the professional edition if i choose so at a later date ?
Work: http://www.marklim.net
Instagram: markelim
Twitter: markelim
Eric Scholl

Re: Workflow with TVP and a Cintiq

Post by Eric Scholl »

Hi Markelim, and welcome to the TVPaint community :D
Markelim wrote:Hi guys, i have finally decided to consider buying TVP after my latest purchase, a cintiq. I downloaded the demo and tried it and i love it. I have a few questions before i make the purchase though.

1) How are you guys, who have cintiqs using TVP, i have the smallest size cintiq so i don't have that much space, is there a way to just put the canvas and keep the toolbars and others on my primary display ? or do you guys do something more efficient ?
If you don't have enough space to work in the software, you can hide all panels (left , right and Timeline). So you will be able to work on a large picture and access to these panel when your mouse is near each border of the window.
Markelim wrote:2) How important is the x-sheet, i can't decide whether i will need it in the future. Its either the standard or professional edition
It depends on how you work, but you can work completely without XSheet.

But XSheet is not the only difference between Standard and professional edition. See here, the table of comparison
Markelim wrote:3) if i buy the standard edition, can i upgrade to the professional edition if i choose so at a later date ?
Yes, you can, and the price of the upgrade will be the difference between Standart and professional prices.
Markelim

Post by Markelim »

Ok thanks. I will be mainly focusing on character animation such as dialogue. SO i really am not sure how important the x-sheet will be. So if i decide to upgrade my standard edition to the professional edition...would you just send me a new thumb drive ? how will that work ?
Work: http://www.marklim.net
Instagram: markelim
Twitter: markelim
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Markelim wrote:So if i decide to upgrade my standard edition to the professional edition...would you just send me a new thumb drive ? how will that work ?
If you choose to upgrade, we will send you a link to download it.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Markelim wrote:Hi guys, i have finally decided to consider buying TVP after my latest purchase, a cintiq. I downloaded the demo and tried it and i love it. I have a few questions before i make the purchase though.

2) How important is the x-sheet, i can't decide whether i will need it in the future. Its either the standard or professional edition

3) if i buy the standard edition, can i upgrade to the professional edition if i choose so at a later date ?

I have a Cintiq 21" UX . I know that Mark Chong ("Lemec" on these forums ) uses the Cintiq 12" WX . Maybe he will chime in about the Cintiq 12" WX , but from what I know he has no problems with it. (but he uses multiple monitors) . Somewhere around here you can find screen shots of Paul Fierlinger's multiple monitor set up, I believe he uses at least three monitors. Paul doesn't use a Cintiq, but his multiple monitor set up does show how it is possible to stretch TVPaint out over multiple monitors to maximize the screen that you are drawing on .

YES , you can arrange the multiple displays as you suggest , with the work project (canvas) and minimal tool bar (just your most used drawing tools) on the Cintiq display and the other tool bars, the layer panels , etc. on a separate monitor .

Also be aware that you can change the interface display in TVPaint PRO so you have 4 different set ups or "rooms" that you can toggle between.

For my "Animation Room" I just have the canvas at full screen (toggle the controls at the bottom on or off using keyboard shortcut V) and a set of drawing tools that I use the most . I also keep the right and left Panel Bins (docks) activated so that they only open when I put my cursor over them and the same with the Layers/Timeline , which will pop up if I hover the cursor over it at bottom of the screen . But I usually keep my Layers/Timeline on the second monitor. With my Cintiq and my Macbook Pro TVPaint is stretched out across two displays. I have one of the Cintiq Express Key buttons set to "Toggle Display" , so I can effortlessly move back and forth between the two displays using my stylus, rarely have to switch to a mouse. I have the other Express Keys and Touchstrips programmed for shortcuts , and a wireless keyboard where I can easily get at it .

X-sheet - I rarely use it in it's present form. I tend to just use the horizontal timeline , it's so easy and effective. There are improvements to the X-sheet coming and when it gets true drag-and-drop function l'll probably use it more.

And as Eric mentioned , yes you can update later to PRO from Standard if you want to .