TV Paint Stops accepting input after screen Rotation.

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Kylerk

TV Paint Stops accepting input after screen Rotation.

Post by Kylerk »

Hello,

I am using TVPaint on an Asus EP 121 tablet. It almost always runs perfectly on this computer except when it stops accepting any input, be it touch, wacom pen or keyboard. This problem happens sporadically but there is one case where it happens very consistently. Because this is a tablet PC, I am able to rotate the whole computer and the operating system changes its whole orientation. After windows 7 has rotated, TVPaint stops accepting any input and must be Killed in the task manager and restarted.

If any one has any ideas of how to solve this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kyler
D.T. Nethery

Re: TV Paint Stops accepting input after screen Rotation.

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Kylerk wrote:Hello,

I am using TVPaint on an Asus EP 121 tablet. It almost always runs perfectly on this computer except when it stops accepting any input, be it touch, wacom pen or keyboard. This problem happens sporadically but there is one case where it happens very consistently.

Because this is a tablet PC, I am able to rotate the whole computer and the operating system changes its whole orientation. After windows 7 has rotated, TVPaint stops accepting any input and must be Killed in the task manager and restarted.

If any one has any ideas of how to solve this, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have no ideas on how to fix the issues with the Asus EP 121, especially the tablet orientation change disabling TVP , but I would suggest that if you need to rotate the image you are drawing on to simply use the 'virtual animation disc' function in TVP to rotate the work area , so you do not physically rotate the tablet to rotate the drawing.
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 21 Jun 2011, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

The main reason that I brought up the screen rotation idea was because it was the only repeatable way that I could get this issue to occur, in which TVpaint would accept no input. I have had TVpaint stop accepting input at other time usually around the time that I am minimizing or maximizing the program, however those issues seem very random, and I am often unable to reproduce them.

There seems to be a bug between how windows handles the TVpaint window and TVpaint. I've trie disabling Aero, but that doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Hopefully someone might know what is happening behind the scenes and suggest a way to fix it.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

We have to run some tests. Maybe can we reproduce this problem and fix it.

Do you have Windows 7 / 32 bits or 64 bits ?
Also, what is your amount of memory and processor ?
Fabrice Debarge
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

It is 64 bit, 1.33 gh2, 4 gb Ram. Multi touch display with Pen input as well. (Such a great feature, I can assign a different tool to both ends of my pen and my fingers)
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

With an RFID chip implemented in each of your finger tips, you will be able to assign a different tool to every finger :) :) :)
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Hi Kylerk,

What is your version of TVPaint ? Please see if an update is available in "Help => Check for Updates".
Then please unactivate the Wintab option in "Edit => Preferences", in General tab and see if it works.
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

9.5.18 - no updates available on the site.

The Wintab option had no effect, I could still repeat the same lockup by rotating the screen.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Kylerk wrote:The main reason that I brought up the screen rotation idea was because it was the only repeatable way that I could get this issue to occur.
Ok, sorry I misunderstood what you were asking about.
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Did you try to update your drivers ? I mean your graphics drivers first.

We tried to reproduce your problem on our Tablet PC, but it works fine.
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

I just update my drivers after you suggested it, it didn't solve the problem. Are you running windows seven on your tablets?
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Yes we are running Windows 7 on it, that's why it's strange.
Does it happen even if you change the orientation of the whole system manually ? ( in ATI Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control panel for example )
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

The system has an intel integrated graphics chip, and it did hang up as always when it was done manually.

I found one way that doesn't cause it to crash and I can rotate the system.

1. Minimize TVpaint
2. Rotate the system.
3. Maximize TVpaint.

Though I found a new way to crash TVpaint. If I have either panel bin is activated in the preferences, and I start to shrink the TVpaint window from the sides, so that it gets very skinny and tall, at a certain point the program will suddenly crash. It is as though the program will crash when the interface runs out of room.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hello,

I have deeply tested here by changing the screen orientation and resizing my TVPaint windows. (Toshiba TabletPC 12.1, Win 7 64 bits)

Sorry, I can not reproduce any bug you describe ... :?

However, my tablet doesn't accept the "touch" option, but only the stylus.
What does happen when you inactivate the "touch" option ?
Fabrice Debarge
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

The problem still occurred when I deactivate Touch in windows.