iPad- could it be used for a digital sketch pad?

To talk about anything else
ingie01

iPad- could it be used for a digital sketch pad?

Post by ingie01 »

Just throwing out a question- Does anyone own one and is it capable drawing and painting? Are there applications for this?
Thanks for your time........
ingie01
Animark

Re: iPad- could it be used for a digital sketch pad?

Post by Animark »

I tested sketching/painting/drawing with some apps on the iphone. Yes, it is possible to do it, but it is like finger painting on windows glass. It is more a funny game than a professional solution for digital art work. There are also some pens for i-phones and i-pods, but they are not comparable with the wacom pens. i-phones and I think i-Pads too are using a different screen technique than wacom tablets or cintiqs and there are no pressure sensitive pens. You should really test before buying one - but, maybe it is useful for rough sketching of ideas.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Walthour wrote: Just throwing out a question- Does anyone own one and is it capable drawing and painting? Are there applications for this?
I don't have one but a friend of mine even does life drawing on it:
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

It was a bot Peter ^^
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Yes it can be done. Take a look at this review of an animation app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td7dHkGxA5c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I checked with the Apple store in my area, and they say you can use a stylus with Ipad 2.
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Yes, but this kind of stylus and the IPad itself doesn't use pressure. Moreover, the precision is bad, even with a stylus.
mox

Post by mox »

The precision of a finger tip, nothing to see with Wacom stylus (or previous thin stylus for smartphones) :]
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

mox wrote:The precision of a finger tip, nothing to see with Wacom stylus (or previous thin stylus for smartphones) :]
I agree.
Some iApp graphic application exchange their expression from stylus drawing "speed" to "pressure".

iPad will make a choise of digital draft, idea sketch and storyboard tool.
In particular for "Scheduled blackouts" season.

WACOM Bamboo Paper for iPad
http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/id443131313?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (iTS information page for Web browsers)
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

we tested it in Annecy and its contact area is as big as a finger and I confirm there is no pressure. And a big problem is that you cannot put your hand on the screen while drawing.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Eric Scholl wrote:we tested it in Annecy and its contact area is as big as a finger and I confirm there is no pressure. And a big problem is that you cannot put your hand on the screen while drawing.

I am attracted to the iPad, it's a cool gadget for sure and it just seems like it "should" be something to draw and animate with , but the lack of pressure sensitivity , as well as the relatively low resolution (only 1024 x 768) keeps me from buying one. No pressure sensitivity , but also none of my go-to programs : TVP (of course!) , but also no Photoshop, no Illustrator, no Flash , none of tools of the trade of a professional animator/cartoonist/illustrator.

Yes, good drawings or paintings can be done on the iPad with Alias Sketchbook for iPad or Brushes (paintings more so than precise line drawings) , but I tried drawing with a stylus on an iPad and it is so crude compared to using a Wacom tablet or Tablet PC with pressure sensitivity.

Our friend Chad Essley mentions this on his blog: http://www.cartoonmonkey.com/high-resol ... s-tablets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You wanted a high resolution screen for your Tablet PC? That’s so.. so 2007! (2004 even!) Forget about all that.. now.. just relax.

After a totally weird shift to low resolution 1024 x 768 and WXGA screens, where are all the high resolution screens going now? Into cheap Android devices, that’s where.

If you want to buy a Tablet PC with a real multitouch screen, Wacom digitizer, and high resolution led backlit screen … then you’re out of luck.

Microsoft, are you listening? I’m betting after just few phone calls, you could make the most amazing hardware happen for the Tablet PC. But you’re not doing it. Are you? Busy buying Skype for 11 BILLION? I’m sure this is some kind of long term strategy, but..

High resolution Tablet PC’s are dead.

Did you know, that in 2011, you can’t buy a modern Tablet Pc with a true high resolution display? 1280 × 800 or WXGA is all you’re going to get."
Chad's a PC guy . He uses a Motion Computing LE 1700 tablet PC. It looks good, I could see using an LE 1700, but at heart I'm a Mac user. (don't hit me Chad !)
I was so hoping to get a Modbook Pro from Axiotron this year because they had been saying they'd have it out in the 1st Quarter of 2011 , but now the Axiotron company is seemingly in limbo, with no further development of their Modbook tablets announced or expected. (Modbook has been killed-off by the ascent of the iPad , and Steve Jobs convincing the masses that a stylus is passé , because many untrained people think on first sight that the iPad is basically the same thing as a Modbook tablet Mac computer, but it is not ... Modbook was intended for a niche market: artists and designers needing true Wacom pressure-sensitivity on a Mac tablet. )

RIP Modbook , killed by the iPad -

But I wonder also if the days are numbered for true Tablet PC's like the Motion Computing LE 1700 ? Everyone seems to be going with Android iPad wannabes and of course the mighty IPad. They are cool gadgets, but for drawing it's like using using a "Sharpie™" pen on a piece of slick paper compared to the subtly of line possible with a pressure-sensitive Wacom using TVP.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Have you ever considered seeing the gadget as a tool and art form in itself? Something to draw with nice, thick lines? That's what I'd do if I had one of those.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Have you ever considered seeing the gadget as a tool and art form in itself? Something to draw with nice, thick lines? That's what I'd do if I had one of those.
And that's an excellent point, thank you, Paul. If we don't expect the iPad to be something it's not (a wacom-enabled, pressure-sensitive drawing pad) then just let it evolve a drawing style suited to it.
Yes, that makes sense. As I said , I've seen some excellent digital paintings made on the iPad (using apps like Brushes ) , so it's certainly possible to do good work with it without a pressure-senstive stylus. I've just been spoiled by Wacom. Anything less feels clumsy and a step backwards.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Did you know, that in 2011, you can’t buy a modern Tablet Pc with a true high resolution display? 1280 × 800 or WXGA is all you’re going to get."
That's a BIG problem, I have to agree. I have to replace my current TabletPC, almost 4 years old now (res 1050 x 1440), and there is no way to find a resolution higher than 800 x 1280 or 768 x 1366 ... :roll:
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote:

That's a BIG problem, I have to agree. I have to replace my current TabletPC, almost 4 years old now (res 1050 x 1440), and there is no way to find a resolution higher than 800 x 1280 or 768 x 1366 ... :roll:

Yes, it's quite shocking to me to look around at the Tablet PC options and realize that none of the new tablets have resolution higher than 1280 . (at least not that I've been able to find) .
This is why I had continued to hope that Axiotron would manage to pull things together to release their proposed "Modbook Pro" (modified Macbook Pro with 1920 resolution) , but apparently the Axiotron company is in limbo. They do not answer emails , their forums and Facebook page are not updated.

I was sad to learn from reading Chad Essley's blog that the Tablet PC's have all gone to lower resolution now , except perhaps soon certain Android tablet devices will be on the market with higher resolution , but again the issue with Android OS tablets (like the iPad) is the lack of Wacom pressure sensitivity and no high-end graphics programs such as TVP or Photoshop that will run on Android OS.