TVPaint Animation 11 : ask all your questions here !

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Sewie

Re: TVPaint Animation 11 : ask all your questions here !

Post by Sewie »

In the behavior of the timeline something's changed; when dragging a frame or instance to another location on the timeline you now get a pop up requester asking if you want to move, copy or insert the instance.

It used to be so (V10.5) that you could press either 'shift', 'ctrl' or no button to get the same behavior but without being interrupted by the pop requester . Can this requester be turned off in V11?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

schwarzgrau wrote:Could you explain this any further? I'm not sure if I understand how it works.
You just add any image in the library, then you can use it as source in the warp tool.
Warp_Source.png
Warp_Source.png (11.98 KiB) Viewed 28212 times
In this way, it's eliminating multiframe, generational degradation.
The anchor points becomes persistent too, since it's always the same image.
Fabrice Debarge
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

That's quite nice. But now everytime I apply the transform I get one more copy of my image.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Animark

Post by Animark »

I've taken a deeper look into the new Warp-Tool in combination with the library.

- Setting a picture from the library as source is a very nice feature - would be very cool to have it also for the transform and the perspective tool
- managing the warping is more succesful, when using a full colored picture (full filled with pixel). Using a pure lineart acts strange. The picture seems to break into different solid parts moving around. It's very hard to control.
- I often had the case, that when have moved one part (e.g. a nose of a face) and try to move the next part (e.g. an ear) the nose walks back to it's original position. Again, it seems very hard to control (I've found and tried to use the lock point feature).
- It takes some irritating time (some seconds) after setting a picture for the warp tool to the moment, when I can see the image. (There seems to be some more glitches with the optical feedback: After deleting the frame content, I had to deselect and reselect the warp tool, to not see deleted content.)
- There seems to be no optical feedback for the settings of the warp tool. Specially for the Square Size and for the Rigidity would be any feedback very helpful to get an idea on what will happen, when using the warp.
- Changing the source picture resets the warp tool. Would be a nice possibility to change the pictures while animationg some warps. Think on animation ;-)!

OK, after all: The warp tool is a nice feature. The idea of the library as a source is great and prevents from classical mistakes when manipulating the same picture again and again and wondering about loosing the quality. But, in my opinion, it is on a very good way to be a cool feature. Not more.

schwarzgrau wrote: Fabrice wrote:nb : using the library with the warp tool just avoid the loss of quality when working.

Eric Scholl wrote:

schwarzgrau wrote:that wouldn't be possible in TVPaint, because of the blurring you get with every transformation and I guess that's fine.

You can get rid of the blur by using an Image in the Library as source of the Warp Tool.

Could you explain this any further? I'm not sure if I understand how it works.
I think, it means, that staying with one and the same source picture from the library prevents from the classical mistake I mentioned above, when manipulating in different steps. It's the same technic (Stay with your original drawing!), but much more comfortable and better to control during animation.

schwarzgrau wrote: Animark wrote:I don't like the new warp-tool. It is funny, but seems to be lightyears away from workflows like the puppet tool in AFX or the possibilities of the bones in ASP. But I will give it some more time later to explore its sense in an animation context.

First I have to say I never felt comfortable with the puppet tool in After Effects. It always felt a bit stiff, cause if you move a point the others always staying in place (even if this gives a bit more control). I just started using it in combination with Duik.
So I like the "feel" of the warp-tool a lot more, but not for the stuff you can do with the puppet tool or even the bones in Anime Studio Pro, that wouldn't be possible in TVPaint, because of the blurring you get with every transformation and I guess that's fine. TVPAint is a software for hand-drawn animation and I guess bone-systems and stuff like that wouldn't be an improvement.
However I think the warp-tool could be handy if you need some small adjustments on a complex character, if you try to do some subtile squash and stretch or if a character moves really slow and drawing him on every frame would make it look to jittery.
Yes, thats the same with me. I prefer ASP much more for Cut-Out Animation than AFX. I also testet DUIK, but the workflow is too complex compared with ASP. I think, the original post brought me to think in a way of cut out animation: "• A Warp tool based on the technology "as rigid as possible", which allows to distort, stretch and bend your drawings. It also allows you to imitate cut-out animation." Sorry for taken it to closely ;-).

OK, now I will try to color some of my older anims with the new features...
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Animark wrote:It also allows you to imitate cut-out animation.
Yup, it imitates cut-out, not "does" cut-out. Like margarine imitates butter, but it is not butter :mrgreen:
(Just kidding, I understand it can be misunderstood.)
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

When installing TVP11, I'm guessing it is not recommended to leave 10.5 on the computer?
So that I can uninstall it when I'm through the learning curve of 11.
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

There is no issue with having 10.5 and 11 on your computer at the same time.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Thank you!
Animark

Post by Animark »

Fabrice wrote: Animark wrote:- The color and texture layer feels also very good. But I tried to color an older animation (made with TVP 10 or 10.5) and had some struggle with some areas won't be filled - even when the areas where completely closed. I will test it again ... When it works, I like it more than Lazy Brush. But what was happended with Lazy Brush? Are they stopped developing?

Nope, the technology is just now integrated directly within TVPaint, as CTG layers.
To "uncolor" an area, you just have to use the "exclusion" option.
we have checked everything during months, it works ;) Please post your project and we will guide you if necessary.

- The possibilities of the texture layer are also great. But I don't liked to resize my private texture collection to fit with the project dimensions. For me it is normal to work with different project dimensions on one film. It don't makes my life easier, when I have to think about the size of every texture in every new scene. Sorry, maybe I misunderstood something.

The easiest way to work by now is to paint the texture directly on the screen then save it in the library.
In that way, you don't have any image size problem.
But ok, that something that might be improved in the future.
The new coloring features are working great. I had no problems when using new generated animations. Using my older stuff there are some strange behaviours. Sometimes the coloring don't works, sometimes the texturing doesn't do anything, but I cannot reproduce it, because, sometimes it works on the same project without any problems. But tendencially I have a good feeling here :D.

For the texturing it is very nice to have the possibilities to follow your animation with a texture. I also would like to change (not MOVE, WARP or MORPH) the textures from frame to frame, but that's maybe something for the future. To save the textures to the LIB first is a little bit uncomfortable, but during my test work flow it didn't took to much time. Both features suggests me, to do the upgrade.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Sewie wrote:In the behavior of the timeline something's changed; when dragging a frame or instance to another location on the timeline you now get a pop up requester asking if you want to move, copy or insert the instance.

It used to be so (V10.5) that you could press either 'shift', 'ctrl' or no button to get the same behavior but without being interrupted by the pop requester . Can this requester be turned off in V11?
Guys, can I get an answer to this please? I'm struggling with it because it is quite disruptive to the workflow.
Thanks.
Last edited by Sewie on 06 Feb 2015, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Animark

Post by Animark »

And here is a concrete question:
When texturing animation it is often usual to change the texture from drawing to drawing. Think on different water color drawings from the real world. Maybe I did'nt looked close enough, but it seems to be not possible with the new texture layer. Is there an "easy to handle" (!!!) feature to change the texture between drawings?
You can use this FX : Rendering > Inlay Texture.
It's an other way to work, which allows to create animated textures.
http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... ay-texture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the moment I am not sure if I should upgrade. Like some other older nice funtions in TVPaint, I think, they are really great ideas that are not developed to an end (my subject view). I haven't tested the new biblio and the color swatches yet and will play again with the demo this weekend. So, I will see ...
There are many other options such as the "Flip panel", "Line Smoothing" , "Auto-Save" , "New layer Preset panel" , "auto-break" and "auto-save" for each layer , etc.
Feel free to try them :)
[/quote]

The Inlay-Texturing-FX would do the job (using animated clip with textures in frames) and has also some good possibilities. Just for changing the textures during animation, I would prefer the old way using colored areas as stencils for animated texture layers. It's faster (in my personal workflow).
furushil

Post by furushil »

Hello,

after reading all the comments here, I finally get to test TVP11 too !

Here is my first question: Do I still have to run TVP11 in "low-resolution" mode on a retina display?
I remember Thierry say this in the past here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7029&p=69828&hilit ... lay#p69828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not something that the user can do, but something that must be done in TVPaint's code : using a function provided by Apple that only works on OS X 10.7 or later (as the Retina display screens appeared when 10.7 was the current OS). However, we still support OS X 10.6.8, so we can't use it.
We could abandon 10.6.8 support so the Retina issue would be solved very quickly, but there's too many people that still use this OS (it's like Windows XP, there is still a lot of people that use it)
But now it appears that TVP11 is not running on 10.6.8 anymore.
TVP11 still seems to run choppy in high resolution mode, so for now I guess it is best to set it to "low-resolution". Is that correct?
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Has anything changed in the way that manipulated images are treated in order to avoid degradation of the line quality? That is, better anti aliasing and no anti aliasing when it is a simple move? I notice that the wonderful "smart" only exists in the Transform tool and I wonder why this is not available in every manipulation tool so that the user can just trust that TVPaint will figure out the best way to do the job. Why does the Perspective tool still have None, Medium and Best option? Who wants any less than Best? This only leads to accidentally using an inappropriate setting.

I notice also that the fabulous new Warp tool has no such settings. Is that because it is doing what I am requesting for the other tools, which is just figuring out the best way for the highest quality?

Speaking of the Warp tool, I love the way I can lock the line using the Shift key, but then, as soon as I move to the next instance of the same character, to continue the warp, all the locked positions are lost and I have to do them over. So say I am stretching the head of a character and want the body to remain locked. I have to click a number of points on the body, stretch the head, go to the next instance and then, to continue the head stretch animation, I have to lock all those points again, and I have to be sure to do it exactly as the last instance so as to maintain the body the same way, which is pretty tricky. Sooooo, is there a way to use warp where it maintains the lock positions from instance to instance?
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Horganovski

Post by Horganovski »

^ I've wondered this too about pinning the warp tool. It would be really convenient if the pins would hold as you go from instance to instance instead of having to re-lock them again each time. I also find it a bit fiddly to lock them if I hold Shift and drag a selection over them and then choose Lock. For some reason they stay highlighted and will move with the other points even though they appear locked. I end up shift clicking on another point before the lock will 'stick'.

A great new feature in my opinion but could be a little more user friendly.
habashtvpaint

Post by habashtvpaint »

Hello, yes paul I'm experimenting more with TVP 11 features and found ,the flip tool and library are genius additions. Thank you TVP team.
--
Animator for Life
Mac | 3.5GHz i7 | 24GB RAM | OSX 10.9 | TVP 11 Pro 64bit