Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
idragosani

Re: Update 10.5.0 issues

Post by idragosani »

ematecki wrote:But the best thing to do is....

Pick a good opensource player with reactive developers (VLC comes to mind), and ask them to add the frame by frame playback, explaining them WHY you need it.
Would it be a conflict of interest to have a TVPaint developer contribute code to VLC to enable *backwards* frame by frame? 8)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Elodie

Re: How to do without Quicktime ?

Post by Elodie »

I don't think it would be a conflict of interest, but a lack of time.

They are already too busy with our own software, they can't care of another one :D

But sincerely, the [E] key works pretty well (but only go forward, not backward).
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Elodie wrote:I don't think it would be a conflict of interest, but a lack of time.

They are already too busy with our own software, they can't care of another one :D
I know, I'm just joking around. :D
Elodie wrote:But sincerely, the [E] key works pretty well (but only go forward, not backward).
If you set your backward jump to one second, you move back and then just use E to go forward again over the one second. It's awkward but better than nothing.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

idragosani wrote:
Elodie wrote:But sincerely, the [E] key works pretty well (but only go forward, not backward).
If you set your backward jump to one second, you move back and then just use E to go forward again over the one second. It's awkward but better than nothing.

That is very awkward.

I will continue using Quicktime Pro 7.6 as long as it will still function on my Mac. So easy with Quicktime Pro to go back and forth , frame by frame. VLC is not as good for this function.

However, I will take ematecki's suggestion to contact VLC developers to request addition of backward frame by frame function , although I find it hard to believe that it has not been suggested to them by other VLC users many times , so either they can not figure out how to do it, or they don't see any need for it from most of their users .

I am confused about something: when it is said that Apple has abandoned Quicktime and that Quicktime no longer works I understand that part about Apple "abandoning" any further development on Quicktime , but why is it being implied that Quicktime is not working anymore ? Is that only for Windows and for Mac OS 10.8 ? Because I have Mac OS 10.7 and I can still export to Quicktime and my Quicktime Pro 7.6 works fine. I can open and play .mov , .m4v, .mp4 , and (most) .avi files , playing them at normal speed , with options to play them at half-speed , 2x speed , 3x speed , looped, or watch the movies frame by frame (with frame count) backward OR forward. Is this no longer possible on OS 10.8 and Windows using Quicktime Pro 7.6 ?

idragosani

Post by idragosani »

D.T. Nethery wrote:
idragosani wrote:

That is very awkward.

I will continue using Quicktime Pro 7.6 as long as it will still function on my Mac. So easy with Quicktime Pro to go back and forth , frame by frame. VLC is not as good for this function.
I have no choice, really, since I am on Linux for which no Quicktime application exists. However, when I need to do real frame by frame analysis, I use a tool called 'xjadeo', which was designed specifically for this purpose (even more specifically, it was designed for audio engineers or composers to work out synch with video). It's an open source tool but by no means a general purpose app like VLC or Quicktime, it doesn't even support audio.

From what I have read, the core developers of VLC have a philosophical stance against frame by frame navigation (yeah, I know, WTF?), they are pushing "streaming" media (hence the name VideoLAN), which is why full frame-by-frame navigation has never been fully implemented. Nothing is stopping an ambitious and less philosophical developer from forking the code and distributing a version that does support full frame by frame navigation. I'd do it myself if I had the time (like the TVPaint guys, my dayjob is interfering with fun projects like this).
Henk Beumers

Post by Henk Beumers »

Hi all.

Even if you use Linux it is not a problem to use QT on a Windows or Mac OS on the same system. It also doesn't need to bee the latest version. I use a QT version from ages ago. It does the job of flipping trough the frames without any problem. At the moment I don't use it for no other purpose then storyboard viewing/discussing with others. It's much better than those little drawings on a piece of paper.
Even if QT isn't available anymore I don't mind. I just keep using this old version. Most of the companies I work with are using QT too so just because of that I'm more or less forced to have it installed. By the time its not possible to get QT anymore I'll find a way to get a viewer that will do the same job but for now it's far easier to use QT. And of course it plays Avi's and other files with the extra feature that you can play them frame by frame.
Lets take another item. QTpro can loop your animation. I didn't found a player with that feature. But that could be my. Anyone who knows a player that loops your animation including the sound?

Regard Henk.
Henk Beumers
TVP 10.05.7 pro 64 bits W7 pro 64 bits. Intel i5 2.67. Mem 16gig.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Media Player Classic does.
http://mpc-hc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Henk Beumers wrote:Hi all.

Even if you use Linux it is not a problem to use QT on a Windows or Mac OS on the same system.
Actually the only option I have is to run QuickTime under Wine.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Sewie wrote:Media Player Classic does.
http://mpc-hc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It doesn't scrub frame by frame backwards and forwards either. :(
EDIT: I found a way to make it step right, frame by frame, and you have to hold down two keys to make it happen. This thing is a dud. I wonder what makes it so difficult to make another QT player.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

You can assign your own keyboard shortcuts. (It's like TVP in that regard.)
Though I admit I haven't found a way to make it go frame by frame in reverse smoothly.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Henk Beumers

Post by Henk Beumers »

Hi Dewie.
So it does. And it also advances frame by frame but only forwards. I just don't use it to often because it is giving me alot of problems since the last couple of updates. Something related to DirectX but I could not solve the problem.
Problem is also that not everybody is using MPC especially the people I work with.

Hi Idragosani
Most people I know use more than one type of OS. There are also vitual OS's. I dont know exactly how it works but it seems that you just switch between OS's without any problem.

Henk.
Henk Beumers
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Henk Beumers wrote: Most people I know use more than one type of OS. There are also vitual OS's. I dont know exactly how it works but it seems that you just switch between OS's without any problem.
Switching between OSes is an option, of course, but not convenient by any means. Anyway, it turns out I still have a Quicktime Pro license and Quicktime runs well enough under Wine in the off chance I need it (prefer to use VLC, as it runs natively)
Henk Beumers

Post by Henk Beumers »

As long as it suits your needs every piece of equipment is perfect.

Henk.
Henk Beumers
thaz

No Quicktime Codec Options Available - OSX 10.8.5

Post by thaz »

Hello

I've searched the forums, but didn't find a solution for this.
For some reason on my imac, I don't have the quicktime codec options anymore and I don't know why. There is just a simple list with quality selection (screenshot). Am I missing something? I can't export quicktime files like this as I used to before. Strangely it works normal on my macbook pro.

I'm working with TVP Animation 10 Pro (10.5.2-64 bits) Sep 9 2013
Thank you.
Elodie

Re: No Quicktime Codec Options Available - OSX 10.8.5

Post by Elodie »

Apple does not support Quicktime on 64 bit software.

So, we had to use a different library to allow our users to use the .mov video file format (which is, in my opinion, not the best video file format at all). That's why the options proposed there are different from what you know.
If you do wand to use the QT codec, you must install the 32 bit version of TVPaint Animation.