Mac 64bit comments

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Mac 64bit comments

Post by ematecki »

So you have that problem on 10.6.8 ?
We don't have any Mac left with 10.6.x, only the very old iMac with 10.5.x to make the 32 bit builds.
And because that iMac is not compatible with 64 bit apps, we can't check.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My Mac is 10.6.8 on MacPro. Once I'll be able to install v10, I could check.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

so it sounds like you guys are having somewhat less of a problem with your newer os versions 10.7 and 10.8.
i guess i needed a reason to upgrade...

btw- does tvp get tested on a cintiq?
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
(currently running Monterey 12.6)
Cintiq 22HD (2015), driver 6.3.36-2
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

CharlieC wrote:btw- does tvp get tested on a cintiq?
Not by the TVPaint team directly, as we don't have Cintiq in the office.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

CharlieC wrote:so it sounds like you guys are having somewhat less of a problem with your newer os versions 10.7 and 10.8.
i guess i needed a reason to upgrade...
NO ! If you don't have another reason to upgrade, DON'T !
In any case it won't fix this problem.

We *have* the problem on both 10.7.x and 10.8.x .
We can't check anymore on 10.6.x because we don't have any Mac left with 10.6.x installed.
And our computer with 10.5.x is too old to run the 64 bits version.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I agree with Eric1, You really don't need to upgrade you Mac if you don't have other reasons.

New MAC OS X is too intrusive (you can't install easily software that are not approved by Apple - or you will have to change your secutiry parameters in your Mac preferences), limit a lot the access to the User's library (you have hold [alt] on your keyboard and use the Finder menu "Go to" to go to your Library...) and it is not compatible anymore with old software, originally developed for Power PC processors.
Keep Shooting

Post by Keep Shooting »

ematecki wrote:The problem was never reported with the 32 bits version.
Anyway, you can install both versions (32 and 64) at the same time, and test it for yourself.
Nerver had a problem working with 32 bit version indeed. Tip if you would like to work with both versions: I added "_32bit" and "_64bit" to the applicationname, for it is not clear which version is which in the icon.
ematecki wrote:As for one/two screens, we have the problem both on my MacPro (10.7.x) with two screens, and Elodie's iMac (10.8.x) with its single built-in screen.
But we both have that problem only if the dock is showing, once hidden the problem disappears totally.

It suggests indeed... updating the OS 10.6.8 and hiding the dock (which I always do anyway) should do the trick...

I have run a test with my MacBook Pro, OS 10.7.4 (2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB DDR3) + Intuous 3 tablet + 2 screens + docksettings "Automatically hide and show the Dock":
64 bit version: still not working well with the tablet. Same problems as described in my earlier post. Moving the TVP programwindow to 1 screen solves all described issues instantly.
32 bit version: no problem at all.

Good thing you advise NOT to upgrade the OS!

I hope you there is a solution waiting to reveal itself, for it would be preferable to work with 64 bit and 2 screens and pentablet ofcourse...
Kind regards, Conny
(working on Dual 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel, 21 GB DDR2 ram, OS 10.6.8)
kariP

Post by kariP »

Now in the 10.0.11 version of tvp, i experience lagging while writing text in project window to action, dialog or notes. That didn't happen on 10.0.9 - 64 bit. Noteworthy? Maybe not, but here you go.

It seems that the problem has something to do with macbook pro. Keepshooting, charlie and I have macbooks and hiding the dock doesn't work for us. But with Elodies iMac it helps, and also with macpro. Is there any clue in that?

Heh, and i tried to name the applications with _32 and _64 just to, well no reason.., but it might've done something. Now im in a situation where all the tvp versions refuse to open and throw me the message i always ignore: TVP Animation 10 Pro quit unexpectedly.
So, restart or reinstall.
(edit: something went sour on that, i had to use appcleaner to throw out everything related to tvp. Now it should work, have to reconfigure my workspace though. I have all my toolboxes exported, so no big deal. I suspect it might've be because of messing up with the original name.)

Either way, when i get it together, ill start working with the 32 bit and check on this forum once and a while. Probably the idea for the solution is now travelling through the infinite space at a very high speed. And hopefully, instead of a stone, somebody from tvps office will accidently be on its way. :D
Windows 10 (64 bit), 8gb ram, intel i5 10400f. TVpaint 11.7
Keep Shooting

Post by Keep Shooting »

Sorry to hear the renaming caused you this trouble...
Agree on not deleting the 32 bit version yet.
kariP wrote:Probably the idea for the solution is now travelling through the infinite space at a very high speed.
Paints a beautiful picture :)
kariP wrote:It seems that the problem has something to do with macbook pro.
Working on a Mac Pro, OS 10.6.8, same problems there, used the MacBook Pro for testing OS 10.7 to see if updating the OS would be the answer.
Anyone out there working on a different configuration of Mac and OS not having any 64 bit problems at all using pentablet and dual screen desktop?
Kind regards, Conny
kariP

Post by kariP »

Keep Shooting wrote:Sorry to hear the renaming caused you this trouble...
No trouble. Really. It's good to restart every once and a while. It makes me less scared of trying new things and at the same time i find out procedures to keep what is really needed.
And actually, I think this thing should be implemented: Make the program randomly destroy itself totally on startup. Just so that the users wouldn't get too comfortable with their setups and configurations. :D
Keep Shooting wrote: Paints a beautiful picture :)
idea was loaned, but its still funny.
Keep Shooting

Post by Keep Shooting »

:lol:
The moment the day will startup automagicly like that, I'll throw out the computer and move to live in my allotment piecefully growing vegetables and roses...
Kind regards, Conny
kariP

Post by kariP »

Good plan B. :)

But, my idea of the problem lying more on the macbook pro- side wasn't right.
Have to stay sensitive for weirdness and possible causes, if something happens to pop out.
kariP

Post by kariP »

noticed some differences between 32/64.

In 64, the project tab, while writing text to dialog, action or notes, the text doesn't.. "do an automatic enter" when it reaches the border of the writing area. In 32 it does.

In 32 bits, the trackpad on my macbook pro is working really well with the scrollbars. In 64, also trackpad is unusable. And it doesn't have anything to do with crossing to another monitor, it just doesn't roll.

Maybe these are already acknowledged, but there you go.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Thank you for noticing these bugs ! :D
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

hi folks-

to avoid the tvp10 64 bits mac/unresponsiveness issues i'd like to re-install the 32 bits version. mentioned above is that both can be installed separately and used alternately.
i'm hoping for some tips to do it correctly without breaking something.

btw- are there updates to 64 bit 10.0.9 that i should try first?
and- is the FFmpeg download currently on the tvp development page something i should grab?

otherwise-
right now i have 2 .dmg files here:
TVPaint Animation 10.0.9.7923f Pro (x86-64).dmg
and TVPaint Animation 10.0.7.7574f Pro (x86-32).dmg (is 10.0.7 the latest 32 bit version?)

if i mount the '32' does it overwrite the '64'?
and if so, what's the process for having both installed separately, and keeping their files from getting mixed up?

thanks much,
charlie
macbook pro5,1 version 10.6.8, 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1076 Mhz DDR3
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
(currently running Monterey 12.6)
Cintiq 22HD (2015), driver 6.3.36-2