Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
idragosani

Re: Quicktime is missing

Post by idragosani »

The aforementioned smplayer can go framewise using the . key, but I think only in the forward direction.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Quicktime is missing

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

This is great! At least very close to GREAT! And yes, you can advance frame by frame using the key command [dot] and several other usual commands. Quicktime can go stuff itself. :mrgreen:
EDIT: Thanks everyone!
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Joost

tvpaint 10.0.17 quicktime bug?

Post by Joost »

In think there is a bug in the new (64 bit) version of tvpaint:
Most of the quicktimes (I use quicktimes as storyboard reference) I have imported in my projects don't work anymore. Also when I import a new quicktime, it only shows one image of the quicktime. When I press the play button, it starts to flicker (I imported the quicktime as a layer). Luckily I found a way to let it work: import a quicktime as a brush...

Before Yesterday (when I installed the new version), when all the quicktimes where working fine…
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Joost

Re: tvpaint 10.0.17 quicktime bug?

Post by Joost »

And even when I import a quicklime as a brush, it's not reliable...
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

I guess you used the 32 bits version before, when it worked ?

As you have probably heard by now, Apple doesn't support Quicktime in 64 bits...

So we did our best to get around this "bad move" from Apple, by using FFmpeg to load/save quicktime movies in 64 bits.
Due to some limitations of FFmpeg, you have to preload your quicktime files.
In the import panel, just under the browse button, you must check the preload option when importing quicktime files.
Be aware that your .tvpp files will become much bigger !

The best solution is to avoid quicktime files from now on.
If you really have to use quicktime files, stay with the 32 bits version of TVPaint Animation.

Again, this is a unilateral move from Apple, and nobody can do anything about it !
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks for your answer. But it the quicktime is still messed up when I use the preload option in the import panel.

I'm using an Imac with osx 10.8.3. It should support quicktime 64 bits, isn't it?
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Joost wrote:I'm using an Imac with osx 10.8.3. It should support quicktime 64 bits, isn't it?
Apple no longer support Quicktime on 64 bits. And as Apple hardware is on 64-bits only...

Here's a nice link explaining it : http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2011/02/w ... quicktime/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On sick leave until July 8th
Joost

Post by Joost »

Ad is it correct that I also can't export to quicktimes?
I can only create ".dip" files when I want to create a quicktime. And I can't choose a compression or alpha channels.
Why is it that the 64 bit version of tvpaint can't work with quicktimes and the 64bit version of anime studio pro doesn't have that problem?...
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Joost wrote:Ad is it correct that I also can't export to quicktimes?
I can only create ".dip" files when I want to create a quicktime. And I can't choose a compression or alpha channels.
Why is it that the 64 bit version of tvpaint can't work with quicktimes and the 64bit version of anime studio pro doesn't have that problem?...
Yes, it is normal that you can't export to QuickTime format, because Apple no longer supports it.
However, the fact that you can only create ".dip" files when exporting to QuickTime format is a bug that will be corrected.

I don't know how Anime Studio Pro operates, but my guess is that they emulate a 32-bits version of QuickTime, so that they can export in QT format.
On sick leave until July 8th
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

I don't exactly get the whole 64 bit/32 bit deal, but 'Quicktime Player 10.2 (603.12)' seems to be 64 bit. (The process in the activity monitor says 64 bit)
Thierry wrote:I don't know how Anime Studio Pro operates, but my guess is that they emulate a 32-bits version of QuickTime, so that they can export in QT format.
If they found a solution, couldn't TVP make it work too?

Adobe Premiere and After Effects CS6 are also 64 bit and have no problems with .mov files at all.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • MacBook Pro 2018 macOS Ventura 13.4.1 + PC Windows 10
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD + Wacom Intuos4
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
  • YouTube.com/@FrameOrder
Joost

Post by Joost »

I agree with Lukas.
If other programs like adobe premiere, after effects and anime studio can work with 64-bit quicktimes, why is it impossible for tvpaint?...
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Joost wrote:I agree with Lukas.
If other programs like adobe premiere, after effects and anime studio can work with 64-bit quicktimes, why is it impossible for tvpaint?...
Don't worry about this, we said that Apple no longer supports Quicktime, but we didn't said that we will stop working with QuickTime in 64 bits.
We are working on a solution to make it work. You should see QuickTime export working again soon. ;)
Lukas wrote:I don't exactly get the whole 64 bit/32 bit deal, but 'Quicktime Player 10.2 (603.12)' seems to be 64 bit. (The process in the activity monitor says 64 bit)
QuickTime Player and the QuickTime we use to create .mov files are 2 different things. The Player will still work because it's already done.
But as Apple changed everything in terms of coding on 64 bits Mac, they decided to stop supporting Quicktime export in 64 bits for an obscure reason.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Eric Scholl wrote:But as Apple changed everything in terms of coding on 64 bits Mac, they decided to stop supporting Quicktime export in 64 bits for an obscure reason.
Not so obscure...
Almost every data structure (over 500 !) and function (over 10,000 !) in Quicktime relies on the fact that pointers are 32 bits.
This is one of the fundamental assumption in QT's design.
Changing this in such a huge and old (QT is written in C, with callbacks using the even older Pascal calling convention !!) code base is "mission impossible".

It is much easier, faster, and future proof to rewrite the whole thing in a modern way.
Or at least the useful part of the whole thing, who cares about QTVR and other such oddities nowadays ?
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Thierry wrote:Yes, it is normal that you can't export to QuickTime format, because Apple no longer supports it.
This line was a bit confusing...
Eric Scholl wrote:Don't worry about this, we said that Apple no longer supports Quicktime, but we didn't said that we will stop working with QuickTime in 64 bits.
We are working on a solution to make it work. You should see QuickTime export working again soon. ;)
But that's good to hear! :)
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • MacBook Pro 2018 macOS Ventura 13.4.1 + PC Windows 10
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD + Wacom Intuos4
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
  • YouTube.com/@FrameOrder
kisenberg

Re: Update 10.5.0 issues

Post by kisenberg »

My 10.5.1 version crashes every time I try to export a sequence to a Quicktime. It's only 122 frames. 6 layers or so. I have not been able to successfully export the sequence.

Suggestions? Thank you.
Kate

Version: TVP Pro 10.5.1
Mac
64-bit