A new Ghibli film ?

To talk about anything else
Patrice

Re: A new Ghibli film ?

Post by Patrice »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:The truth is, I don't know.
So i can only suggest you to see them and to have your mind about them.

You can find a list of Ghibli's films on this website.

Miyazaki's films are more fantastics.
Takahata's ones are more realistic.
Ex TVPaint Team
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok, it's never too late to discover good films (if not the bests) : try anything here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

( :shock: I still remember to tell you to watch "grave of fireflies" during the Mirage forum days ! )
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Patrice t'es trop rapide ;) :P
You're too fast !
Fabrice Debarge
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

One more, in Unuted States, Ghibli's movies are distributing screening by Disney.
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/anima ... lidvd.html

Japanese animation is Not only a small mouth like pinhall Camera, big eyeballs like an ostrich egg, boldly omitted movement (A peculiar animation expression to Japan arose from the efficiency improvement of the cost reduction), and dogfight like TRANSFORMERS & Gundam.

Why might "つみきのいえ (Tsumiki no ie / La Maison en Petits Cubes)" have been able to win the Oscar animation section prize in 2009 that if it was only a work?
http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners ... %20Nominee
〝稽古とは 一より習ひ 十を知り 十よりかへる もとのその一〟 利休
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

If you are reflecting on what I had said, you must understand that I did not claim that Japanese animation is no good, I just said that it is culturally distant for me, something I never took to. I was speaking for myself and expressing my feelings towards a distinct genre that doesn't excite me.

Also you should be aware that I am of a very different generation, my personal tastes in many things have been influenced by experiences and events that are now entering history books. I once got an Oscar nomination and there are plenty of people who don't care about my work. It would indeed be strange if someone made films that absolutely everyone adored. Many Oscar winning films I don't consider all that good and there are even more films I admire that will never get Oscars -- the Academy Awards are not a good measurement of excellence; it is only Hollywood's self congratulatory award that is very self-serving.

And one last thing; my personal tastes have evolved over the years and several times changed. The books, films and music I admired 50 years ago are far apart from what I take to at this stage of my life and the same will happen to all of you, and if it won't, I would pity you if I would be around.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

If you are reflecting on what I had said, you must understand that I did not claim that Japanese animation is no good, I just said that it is culturally distant for me, something I never took to. I was speaking for myself and expressing my feelings towards a distinct genre that doesn't excite me.
On my side, I think we have a lot to learn from japanese animation/animators.

There are so many different and various styles in japanese animation ! As said Ten_Zero "Tsumiki no ie" is a very good exemple.

In the same idea :
The first time I saw Kujira no Chouyaku I was very surprised that it was japanese. In fact, I firstly thought it was from Belgium, due to the "Hergé / Tintin" style of the characters !

Also, some japanese artists have confirmed us we were in the good way with the recent clips management of 9.5, such as Makoto Shinkai. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

...and don't forget the Master or the Japanese animation : Mister TEZUKA !

His work is so interesting and various ! You'd be really surprised to see some of his animations !

It really looks like your culture Paul, isn't it ? :D

More information about Tezuka
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Osamu Tezuka was an animator, a cartoonist, and a surgeon.
He took the paintbrush instead of the surgical knife.
A lot at learning to not only the mode of expression but also the message in the work.

The impression that one work gives might be different people with different tastes.
After all, Paul can't stand watching it but I'm llike it.
〝稽古とは 一より習ひ 十を知り 十よりかへる もとのその一〟 利休
Paul Fierlinger

It really looks like your culture Paul, isn't it ? :D
I grew up professionally in a culture that disdained imitations and we shunned imitators. My influences never came from watching the works of others because I was afraid that it would lead me into imitating them. I always greatly admired Saul Steinberg but I found that to do so could be dangerous because once someone discovers him they will have difficulties not imitating him.

This is why I don't watch movies too often, because none of us can be completely safe from falling into imitations. I turned inward and followed my instincts which pointed me to books and music. Those were my influences and there was no danger that I would come across something that I might start imitating. But it did happen once, at the beginning of my career; I loved James Thurber and had a slip -- his lines crept into my pen and they are embedded there for life. It was noticed by my peers; I got caught and felt very bad about myself. It was a warning for me to be more careful in the future.
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Why are you talking about imitation ? We're not talkinng about this, but about the fact you said Japan is culturally distant for you. I've just told "It looks like your culture", because I meant Tezuka is not at all the "Japanese cliché" you can have. =)

And Tezuka wasn't an imitator ! A lot of his own creations has been copied (the most known is "The Leo King", becoming "The Lion King" by Disney... and the studio never admitted it by the way).
Paul Fierlinger

Well, you just made my point... everyone tends to imitate everyone else.
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

=)

But I think it's not a bad thing at all. I mean : just imitate is stupid, but take an idea and improve it is great. :D

Just imagine if the first prehistoric drawers have thought "Well... Why should I draw this mammoth ? There is no sense, everybody can see real mammothes"

If those people hadn't existed... TVP Animation wouldn't currently exist and we would be still stupid and hairy men into a dark cavern Image

:mrgreen:
Paul Fierlinger

we would be still stupid and hairy PINK men into a dark cavern
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

:mrgreen:
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:...and don't forget the Master or the Japanese animation : Mister TEZUKA !

His work is so interesting and various ! You'd be really surprised to see some of his animations !

And I've always enjoyed Tezuka's "Jumping" -