Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format

Post by ematecki »

It *IS* already forbidden by Apple...

Any new application using QT will be rejected in the AppStore for any Apple platform (iOS or MacOSX).
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, but which equally reliable and versatile framework does Apple offer instead of QT?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

iTunes, I suppose?
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
schwarzgrau

Re: TVP should save the user's Quicktime Export settings

Post by schwarzgrau »

Maybe AV Foundation?
schwarzgrau wrote: Here is a link for anyone interested http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/71/863688
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:All topics about Quicktime created since Apple announced the end of QT support & development have been merged together. Please do not create redundant topics.
OK, but ... my original request when I started this topic (from 2010) was not titled "Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format" . :| My request was " TVP should save the user's Quicktime Export settings" .

I amend my request to :

TVP should save the user's preferred Export settings . (keep the same codec, frame rate, compression % , set by the user ) . I suppose with the .AVI internal export it does retain the same export settings each time .

Well, goodbye Quicktime , old friend . R.I.P. :cry: (but I'm still using my Quicktime Pro 7.6 every day to do simple video edits and recompress large video files to smaller files , so as long as it keeps working on my Mac I will keep using it .)

schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

D.T. Nethery wrote: Well, goodbye Quicktime , old friend . R.I.P. :cry: (but I'm still using my Quicktime Pro 7.6 every day to do simple video edits and recompress large video files to smaller files , so as long as it keeps working on my Mac I will keep using it .)
+1

Ok it's a dying format, but I guess it will take a few years till you can't use it anymore. It would be great if we could get support for it till it's death or there is something new we can use.
INSTAGRAM
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: TVP should save the user's Quicktime Export settings

Post by ematecki »

schwarzgrau wrote:Maybe AV Foundation?
schwarzgrau wrote: Here is a link for anyone interested http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/71/863688
Maybe, some day.
Right now, you just have some choice of hardcoded codecs, like "iPod", "iPad", etc...
No direct choice of resolution, bitrate, etc...
It is supposed to replace QT, but is not yet up to it.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

schwarzgrau wrote:
D.T. Nethery wrote: Well, goodbye Quicktime , old friend . R.I.P. :cry: (but I'm still using my Quicktime Pro 7.6 every day to do simple video edits and recompress large video files to smaller files , so as long as it keeps working on my Mac I will keep using it .)
+1
Ok it's a dying format, but I guess it will take a few years till you can't use it anymore. It would be great if we could get support for it till it's death or there is something new we can use.
You have no heart !
Rather than letting it die and suffer for years, we should shoot him in the head...
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

ematecki wrote:
schwarzgrau wrote:
+1
You have no heart !
Rather than letting it die and suffer for years, we should shoot him in the head...
As long as quicktime is better than anything else out there, I think it's wise to support it (Apple might not be wise enough, but TVPaint could be).

We use .mov files for everything, and all our 64 bits software supports it except TVP.

Shoot it in the head when there's an alternative that is at least as good, reliable and fast as quicktime.
  • Lukas Sketch Panel
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.3
  • MacBook Pro 2018 macOS Ventura 13.4.1 + PC Windows 10
  • Wacom Cintiq 27QHD + Wacom Intuos4
  • YouTube.com/@ClubBaboo
  • YouTube.com/@FrameOrder
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

D.T Nethery wrote:I amend my request to :

TVP should save the user's preferred Export settings . (keep the same codec, frame rate, compression % , set by the user ) . I suppose with the .AVI internal export it does retain the same export settings each time .
.AVI internal & QT work in a very different way :
We created the first one by ourselves so we have full control on it.
It's not the case with QT which has no documentation to explain how to keep the same codec, frame rate, compression % , set by the user ... mostly because now Apple redirect everything to AV fundation.

AV fundation is nice to manage a play/stop button in an Ipad App, but here we need to go much deeper (scrubbing, import/export, frame rate, synchronisation with images, etc ...)
Fabrice Debarge
Joost

Post by Joost »

+1

Quicktime is still the standard format to use for most of the people I know who works in the animation industry. So until there is a good alternative, I would like to able to use it.
Please help us!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Right now, we maintain the 32 bits versions, mostly for the Quicktime Export + the compatibility with "old" MacOS version.
Fabrice Debarge
Joost

Post by Joost »

Right now, we maintain the 32 bits versions, mostly for the Quicktime Export + the compatibility with "old" MacOS version.

I only use the 32 bit because the 64 bit version doesn't work with quicktimes. But I paid almost 600 euro's for the 64bit version that is not working well (it was the reason to go to the pro version of tvpaint). All the other software I use found a workaround method. It would be really helpful if tvpaint would also fix this.
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I paid a lot of money for the 64 bit version of tvpaint (this was the reason I upgraded to the pro-version), and now I never use it because of the quicktime problems...
Joost, the 64 bit version is at least 25% faster than a 32 bit version and may manage much heavier files. Ok, you are frustrated because Quicktime is not working on 64 bit versions, but you cannot blame all the work we made to create a 64 bit version of TVPaint, because it is worth it, especially since most films are made in 2k and 4k definition !

If Quicktime is the only reason that makes you prefer the 32 bit version... well, that's sad. :|

We tried to find a quick and easy solution : there is not.
The only way to use a third-party 32 bit application when working with Quicktime is to spend months (no documents, no financial support and a 5-developers team = many months) just dedicated to THAT development, without being sure of future Apple policy! Honestly, it isn't worth it, sorry. There are much more interesting and important things to do in TVPaint. :wink:

Trust me, for film editing, image sequences in PNG are MUCH better than Quicktime files. And for final exports, AVI does exactly the same job. If other users and companies can do it, why can't you ?
An era is slowly coming to the end because Apple decided so : the faster you will accept it, the faster you will change your habits.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Elodie wrote:Trust me, for film editing, image sequences in PNG are MUCH better than Quicktime files. And for final exports, AVI does exactly the same job. If other users and companies can do it, why can't you ?
An era is slowly coming to the end because Apple decided so : the faster you will accept it, the faster you will change your habits.
If it would be that big amount I can understand you won't do it, since nobody seems to know how long Quicktime will last and what will come next. But It's not just him, a lot of people I know, including me, struggling with the Quicktime-capabilities. I used PNG sequences for my last two films and unfortunately PNGs aren't a real practical solution, even if they got some pros.

PRO
  • You can use an alpha-channel.
  • Their compression is really great.
  • You can re-export just a tiny part of you animation, without the need to re-render the whole thing.
[/color]

CONTRA
  • PNG sequences aren't playable, so you need to combine them to another video-format to watch it.
  • depending on the image content PNG sequences becoming HUGE really fast.
  • the render/export times take a lot longer, since PNGs writing and reading takes a lot longer, compared to other image formats or even video.
  • the png export in TVPaint is absolutely fine if you don't need an alpha-channel, but if you need one it never looks the way it should.
[/color]

And I always got the problem that in nearly every sequence I rendered, exported whatever at least two images were missing. A pain in the a... to find them. But I don't want to blame PNG for this.
Unfortunately AVI isn't a format which you can expect much support for on an computer running OSX, as far as I know.
INSTAGRAM