Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
schwarzgrau

Re: TVP should save the user's Quicktime Export settings

Post by schwarzgrau »

It seems Apple definitely going away from Quicktime, but I don't know what should be the replacement ( AV Foundation? ) or even if there will be a replacement. I guess it's pretty clear Apple already split up with it's customers, who uses their Macs for professional work, but I didn't expected such a cut.
I guess you're right and I should familiarize with another video-format, maybe even consider going back to windows, even if windows 8 seems like no good choice to me.

Here a link for anyone interested http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/71/863688

By the way can I use my TVPaint license and dongle on windows too?
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
furushil

Post by furushil »

schwarzgrau wrote:ok that sounds really dead. But what's apples replacement? And why is MOV still used by all the new cameras? Or is it something which isn't the MOV-container-format but Quicktime itself?
I think it is pretty much mp4. Everytime I open up an "old" mov file with quicktime X it instantly tries to convert it to .mp4 (under OSX 10.9). I think it is just the mov container that will not be used anymore.
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

As I said earlier, mp4 works fine for me. I just hope this mov.s someone smart to make VLC advance in reverse one frame at a time. Does anyone here understand why that hasn't been done yet? Is it really that difficult (impossible :o ) to solve, or is it just because not enough people have shown interest in having this feature happen?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

schwarzgrau wrote:ok that sounds really dead. But what's apples replacement? And why is MOV still used by all the new cameras? Or is it something which isn't the MOV-container-format but Quicktime itself?
There is a .. "replacement", yes, called AVFoundation.
I'll talk about AVF later, I will first explain a little bit what QuickTime is.

QuickTime is 2 things : it's a media player, and it is also a media framework.
The media player, known as QuickTime Player, is still in use, and sometimes updated by Apple. However, there are two version of QTPlayer : 7.x and 10.x
I'll quote the QT Wikipedia page to explain the difference between QTPlayer 7.x and QTPlayer 10.x :
The reason for the jump in numbering from 7 to 10 (X) was to indicate a similar break with the previous versions of the product that Mac OS X indicated. QuickTime X is fundamentally different from previous versions, in that it is provided as a Cocoa (Objective-C) framework and breaks compatibility with the previous QuickTime 7 C-based APIs that were previously used.
The old "QuickTime 7 C-based APIs" (the media framework) that were first used in 1991 (the first version of QT) are 32-bits only. They are still used in the 32 bits version of TVPaint Animation, and the Quicktime export is possible thanks to them.
schwarzgrau wrote:It seems Apple definitely going away from Quicktime, but I don't know what should be the replacement ( AV Foundation? ) or even if there will be a replacement. I guess it's pretty clear Apple already split up with it's customers, who uses their Macs for professional work, but I didn't expected such a cut.
I guess you're right and I should familiarize with another video-format, maybe even consider going back to windows, even if windows 8 seems like no good choice to me.

Here a link for anyone interested http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/71/863688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have tried to use AVFoundation a few times already, and, I'll be honest : it's not good, and the possiibilities are, right now, limited.
Basically, if you want to use it for other purposes than having a audio/video player on your iPhone that can only read a few audio/video formats, then don't use it.
schwarzgrau wrote:By the way can I use my TVPaint license and dongle on windows too?
Yes, you can use on Mac, Windows and Linux ! :)
Paul Fierlinger wrote:I just hope this mov.s someone smart to make VLC advance in reverse one frame at a time. Does anyone here understand why that hasn't been done yet? Is it really that difficult (impossible :o ) to solve, or is it just because not enough people have shown interest in having this feature happen?
VLC can already advance frame by frame (at least on Windows, don't know if possible on Mac OS X)
On sick leave until July 8th
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

thank you Thierry, that makes it a bit clearer.
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

VLC can already advance frame by frame (at least on Windows, don't know if possible on Mac OS X)
Not so; only forward advance using "e" but there is no previous frame command and as far as I can see (and I've played around with all sorts of combinations) VLC has no command that allows you to step in reverse frame by frame. :(
Paul
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

That has something to do how the frames are arranged http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures

Here are two windows-players which can go forward AND backwards (VLC can only go forward one frame)
Media Player Classic
KMPlayer
INSTAGRAM
Paul Fierlinger

Unfortunately not true either. MPC: forward frame by frame, yes. Reverse, No. Does it only in short increments when using reverse command, just like VLC, which is not good enough when checking animation drawings.

I will not even test KMPlayer because I used to have that one too and it was the same as everything else (unless it has changed recently). Do you have this one and have you checked it?
Paul
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

No unfortunately not. I'm on a Mac and most of the time I use QuickTimePlayer 7
INSTAGRAM
Joost

quicktime 64 bit version mac

Post by Joost »

I already asked this before some time ago, and the answer was "we are working on it":

Will the quicktime function for the 64 bit mac version of tvpaint ever be fixed? Both exporting and working with quicktimes in de 64 bit version is impossible!

Other programmes on the mac (anime studio pro for example, after effects, premiere) found a way to fix it, so it must be possible...
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Mads Juul

Re: quicktime 64 bit version mac

Post by Mads Juul »

Joost wrote: Other programmes on the mac (anime studio pro for example, after effects, premiere) found a way to fix it, so it must be possible...
The same for Windows 64 bit. After effects and Adobe Premiere 64 bit both import/export Quicktime. I wonder if they build a 32 bit Quicktime export into the 64 bit version?
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Elodie

Re: Quicktime : the dying and abandonned file format

Post by Elodie »

All topics about Quicktime created since Apple announced the end of QT support & development have been merged together. Please do not create redundant topics.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

madsjuul wrote:The same for Windows 64 bit. After effects and Adobe Premiere 64 bit both import/export Quicktime. I wonder if they build a 32 bit Quicktime export into the 64 bit version?
You are right, even Apple does that : they use a third-party 32-bits application when working with Quicktime. It can't be done in native 64-bits software.
I don't know for how long this solution (using a third-party 32 bits application) will maintained by Apple.
Personnally, I think that everyone should mind that.
Joost

Post by Joost »

You are right, even Apple does that : they use a third-party 32-bits application when working with Quicktime. It can't be done in native 64-bits software.
But is it possible to include this in tvpaint?
I paid a lot of money for the 64 bit version of tvpaint (this was the reason I upgraded to the pro-version), and now I never use it because of the quicktime problems...
I only use the 32 bit version.
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

But what if Apple change his mind (and the rules) by not allowing it in the future ? We would have developped for nothing and you would have paid for nothing...
Quicktime is already forbidden on Ipads (if your app contains QT code it is rejected instantly), I don't think it will be long for MacOS.