Brush type that has all options available

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
k00kla

Brush type that has all options available

Post by k00kla »

Hi,

I love TVPaint's brush engine and I've made lots of brushes with it, but it frustrates me that there doesn't seem to be a basic brush type that has ALL the customization attributes built into it. If I choose an airbrush as the basis for a new brush, it has certain options that I can customize. If I make an anim brush it has a different set of options. If I choose a pen or a pencil as the basis for a new brush, each has it's own unique options. Is there a basic brush that I can choose that has ALL the options (except for things which ONLY affect an animated brush, obviously) available so that I can customize whatever I want? Am I just overlooking this brush? Does it exist? Where can I find it?

And as an aside, wouldn't it greatly simplify things for both the users and the developers if TVPaint based its entire brush system around such a basic, fully customizable brush and just let us customize things to our contentment? Am I missing something?

Thanks.
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Brush type that has all options available

Post by ematecki »

The MAIN reason there are several kind of brushes is QUALITY.

Working in 8bits/channel, rounding errors accumulate very quickly.
So to minimize these, there are several kind of brushes.

Try put put a "dot" down with the airbrush, grab it with the animbrush, and start drawing.
Make the stroke overlap several times.
Now compare this with what you get with the 'real' airbrush.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
k00kla

Re: Brush type that has all options available

Post by k00kla »

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense :) I've used the anim brush technique and it works pretty well, but it would be nice to be able to have all of the anim brush options available on a standard brush that I can tweak the profile of on the fly instead of creating another anim brush sample. It would be nice to have that option, but I'll make do. Thanks!