Darkening Lines

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
animatorBellyAcher

Darkening Lines

Post by animatorBellyAcher »

I apologize if I missed something in the manual in advance. Im experimenting with line work but when animating 20 b/w frames I noticed some of my lines aren't dark enough . Is there any way to darken these lines besides going over them again? I was hoping that rubbing over them with a brush set to multiply or darken might work but no such luck. Thanks!
D.T. Nethery

Re: Darkening Lines

Post by D.T. Nethery »

If you have drawings with lines too light or too thin, the first thing you can try is to go to FX Stack --- Add FX --- Color --- Histogram --- Histogram set to "Master" and "Luminosity" . Adjust the sliders in Histogram until the line is darker .

Next , go to FX Stack -- Color -- Scan Cleaner --- adjust the Scan Cleaner settings by enabling box next to "Progress Profile" and double-clicking on the Progress Profile ... adjust the points on the Progress Profile until the lines on your drawings look darker/thicker .

Finally, one other thing you can try is go to FX Stack --- Add FX --- Stylize --- Border --- (the default is 2.00 ) try the border settings at 0.5 -- or 0.7 -- 1.0 --- 1.5 . Adjust Border until it looks good . Then hit APPLY FX stack.

-
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 31 May 2013, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

animatorBellyAcher wrote:... I noticed some of my lines aren't dark enough . Is there any way to darken these lines besides going over them again?
the first thing you have to do is to check why they "aren't dark enough",
if you've drawn the line with the color A = black (R G B = 0 0 0), it's probably a matter of opacity,
in that case, use the fx-stack Color/Curves and tweak the Alpha curve to make the line 100% opaque,
or use the Histogram (Alpha) and modify the in/out point to increase the opacity.
if it's a matter of color, (your lines have been drawn in dark grey, not a plain black), follow D. T. N. way (histogram / luma),
or lock Alpha on your layer, Rectangle-fill in black the whole 1rst frame, Undo, select All, Re-Apply (hit Enter key).
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I often make the mistake to leave paper ON when I want to draw black lines. In that case I switch paper off, set the layer to stencil, and fill with a black rectangle once or twice.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Here's a different approach to INTERACTIVELY and SELECTIVELY intensifying lines that uses the Spare Buffer and activates an airbrush tool set to Merge.

Create a button then cut and paste the following embedded script:

Code: Select all

tv_UpdateUnDo
X1 = 0
Y1 = 0
tv_GetWidth
X2 = result
tv_GetHeight
Y2 = result
X3 = X2/2 + .5
Y3 = Y2/2 + .5

tv_BrushCut X1 Y1 X2 Y2 0 0

tv_Dot X3 Y3
tv_Dot X3 Y3

tv_SpareCopy

tv_UnDo

tv_airbrush mode "merge" size 40 power 40 opacity 50 aspect 100 angle 0 step 4 dry 0 profile "4 2 0 0 0 0.25 0.2 0.75 0.8 1 1" 
TO USE:
select each frame where you want to selectively and interactively darken lines, press the new button and then paint over those line areas that need darkening. If you have your stylus barrel switch set to Right Mouse Button, use that to selectively "unpaint" or erase back to the original line state.

Repeat button click and paint over if you need to make line areas even darker.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB