Rendering frames problem.

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Tonymation

Rendering frames problem.

Post by Tonymation »

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum (and software) so please be patient with me. I'm trying to render out my animation at 1920 x 1080 in QT and its starting to render nothing but the first frame. When I first attempted this, all was fine, the entire animation scene rendered out perfectly. But suddenly its just rendering frame '0', although I haven't touched any of the settings and the scene is actually 166 frames in length. I can't see anything that should change this... As 'Animation', Mark In '0', Mark out '166', etc. I've even tried to do it on two separate machines (thinking RAM might be a problem) but it just refuses to go beyond the 1st frame for some reason. Can anyone please advise? Many thanks!
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Rendering frames problem.

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Nobody can help you unless you give us more information: exact TVP version. including all 5 digits, OS, 32 or 64 architecture etc. More about your computer size etc. There's a list somewhere that tells you all about this. Something like "What we need to know before you ask a question:.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I think you didn't choose the option "as = animation", just under "Browse" :)
kariP

Post by kariP »

I think I've had the same problem quite many times.
I haven't been able to pinpoint the reason, but for me, untapping the "key frame every" from the quicktime settings solved the problem.
Windows 10 (64 bit), 8gb ram, intel i5 10400f. TVpaint 11.7
Tonymation

Post by Tonymation »

Actually Karl, your suggestion worked perfectly! All is rendering perfectly after I unchecked the "key frame every" box! (And for the record Paul... I'm Using TVP Pro 10.0.7 on Mac 10.7.5 with 4GB of memory.) Thanks one and all! :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Tonymation wrote:Hi guys. I'm new to this forum (and software) so please be patient with me. I'm trying to render out my animation at 1920 x 1080 in QT and its starting to render nothing but the first frame. When I first attempted this, all was fine, the entire animation scene rendered out perfectly. But suddenly its just rendering frame '0', although I haven't touched any of the settings and the scene is actually 166 frames in length. I can't see anything that should change this... As 'Animation', Mark In '0', Mark out '166', etc. I've even tried to do it on two separate machines (thinking RAM might be a problem) but it just refuses to go beyond the 1st frame for some reason. Can anyone please advise? Many thanks!
EDIT: Oh, I notice that someone else answered your question as I was posting mine. Well, anyway, yes, it appears it was the infamous QT bug "Key Frame Every ____ Frames" .

Hi, Tony White , nice to see you here.

If you are exporting using the H.264 compression codec be aware that there is a bug in Quicktime that will only export a single frame if the box next to "Key Frame Every ____ Frames" in the QT export configuration settings is checked. Make sure that box is UNCHECKED. (you access the QT export settings by clicking on the little "gear" icon next to where it says Format: Quicktime )

Quicktime H.264 export settings:

Your other option is to use the TVPaint Internal .AVI export engine . Set it to export as Animation, Format = AVI (Internal) , Mode = Motion JPEG , Quality = between 50% to 70% seems to work fine for most things , especially for a quick test . You can adjust the export quality % to whatever looks good to you. The higher the percentage the larger the file size. (of course for ultimate image quality you can export all finished color frames as a lossless .PNG image sequence and load the image sequence into movie editing software )

Internal .AVI export settings:

Exported as .PNG image sequence , then open the image sequence in movie editing software -

Tonymation

Post by Tonymation »

Thanks David. That's really valuable info. I'll try all your suggestions, just for comparison. Thanks again! Tony. :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Oh, that Tony White - the one whose books I recommended for years ... nice to see you here!
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Tonymation

Post by Tonymation »

Nice to be here slowtiger... and thanks for recommending my books. I don't actually have a regular involvement with TV Paint right now but I'm looking to change that in the near future, hence the rendering question. :)
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

slowtiger wrote:Oh, that Tony White - the one whose books I recommended for years ... nice to see you here!
There can be only ONE!
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Tonymation

Post by Tonymation »

I wish there weren't only just one unfortunately... I could get so much more done! ;)