Mac 64bit comments

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
CharlieC

Re: Mac 64bit comments

Post by CharlieC »

hi Elodie et el,

as to my dock- i have the dock set at auto hide/reveal. (the dock only has 2 settings: either HIDE/REVEAL or ON all the time.)

Q: do you advise that the dock/tvp NEVER touch, not even for a moment when first opening, because this will continue to affect tvp? for me they only touch for a moment if i launch from the tvp icon in the dock; after that i move the tvp panel away from the dock and they never touch again.

in order to avoid them EVER touching, i can either A) open tvp from the application folder, or B) click on a .tvpp file, tvp opens successfully but not the file (i get the error msg that it can't open the file because of the .tvpp issue for macs), but then i can open the file from the tvp pulldown menus. but all that is overkill if the problem is only when they touch and not the rest of the time...

anyway-
i downloaded the newest cintiq driver: 6.2.0-w4 from Jan 2012, but the tvp lagging is still an issue on the cintiq but not when moved over to the laptop screen.

cc
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
(currently running Monterey 12.6)
Cintiq 22HD (2015), driver 6.3.36-2
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

CharlieC wrote:hi Elodie et el,

as to my dock- i have the dock set at auto hide/reveal. (the dock only has 2 settings: either HIDE/REVEAL or ON all the time.)cc
It is also possible to put the dock at the right or the left side of the screen as well, I don't know if it solves anything but....cc[/quote]
CharlieC wrote:......, i can either A) open tvp from the application folder, or B) click on a .tvpp file, tvp opens successfully but not the file (i get the error msg that it can't open the file because of the .tvpp issue for macs), but then i can open the file from the tvp pulldown menus. but all that is overkill if the problem is only when they touch and not the rest of the time...
cc
You can also press ctrl+space (spotlight up in the right corner will open) and either type "tvpp" this will list all your tvpaint files, or type tvp, this will show the tvp animation app as first choice, just hit enter and that app/file will open.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

@ Charles : in fact, the dock can be disturbing when you are drawing, but if you are going to the finder (so the dock is revealed), then go to TVPaint (the dock is hidden), you should draw properly.
The dock disturbs the drawing only if it is above TVPaint while you are drawing (in the case where you dock is ON all the time)... am I clear enough ? ^^"
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

hi Elodie-

thanks for the clarification that the dock/tvp issue isn't contributing to the unresponsiveness described in my posts above.

is there more info yet as to possible factors/solutions? e.g.-
is it limited to certain users?
all mac/cintiq users?
any tvp software coding being adjusted?

i spoke with wacom and they didn't think the stylus wasn't failing, or that the cintiq was too old.
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Concerning the Cintiq, I can't say anything : we don't have any cintiq here to make tests...

We confirmed the bug on an iMac 10.8 and a Mac Pro 10.7, both with an intuos 4.
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

that's a good idea- i'll test my intuos and i have a 12" cinitq too; i forget i have them as i rarely use them.

do you have hopes for solving the bug, from what you know of it so far?

cc
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I'm not developer, so I can't say anything ^^"
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

ok-
i can ask a developer if this area is outside your specialty. i assume they see these posts, but i can try to pm someone in the tech support listings if that's better. this appears to be a serious issue to me that will limit my work until i find some solutions, so i'd like to find out as much as i can as soon as i can.
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Right now we don't know much about this.
It only happens with the wacom tablet, not with the mouse, so it must be a problem with the wacom tablet driver.
If you ever tried to get technical info from wacom, you know it can take a loooong time (sometimes up to infinity) to get an answer...
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Keep Shooting

Post by Keep Shooting »

Hi Erik,
If I am reading your message right you are telling me there is no other solution than to go back to the 32 bit version or work-around by drawing with all screens on 1 monitor?
See also my previous post http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php? ... =15#p53177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kind regards, Conny
(working on Dual 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel, 21 GB DDR2 ram, OS 10.6.8)
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

We are looking for a solution, but at least a part of the solution is not in our control...

If you can live with the 32 bits version, that's the best course to take until it gets fixed.
Keep Shooting

Post by Keep Shooting »

OK I'll continue working around this tablet-issue.
Thanks for your quick reply and please let us know when this has been solved.
Kind regards, Conny
(working on Dual 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel, 21 GB DDR2 ram, OS 10.6.8)
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

hi Ematecki-

i'm grateful you guys are looking into this.
so i did some tests with the macbook pro laptop and my intuos4 and then my cintiq 15". (as i mentioned above they both use the same latest driver; the cintiq had an old driver until a few days ago but the problems persist with both.)

the problems vary slightly between the intuos and the cintiq; even worse responsiveness with the intuos; can't even move a panel or slide a slider, but buttons work, and the freehand selection tool only makes tiny straight lines regardless of the shape drawn.
However!- (i guess a few of you have already noticed this but i didn't fully absorb it reading your comments)- the problem seems to be entirely about using 2 screens. all problems disappear if tvp is moved only onto one screen, regardless of whether tvp is all on the laptop or all on the cintiq, both with the intous and the cintiq, both stylus and cursor; all problems gone. but as soon as tvp begins to share more than one screen, the problems begin and get worse the farther tvp moves into both screens. with the intuos, even if the cintiq is turned off but still plugged in and tvp is extended off screen the problems occur, but disappear as soon as the cintiq is unplugged. sadly using tvp on only one screen isnt an option for regular workflow, but it might help in a pinch.

i wonder what the issue would be like if all the panels could be torn free from each other, like in After Efects and Photoshop, rather than limited to the tvp master panel straddling both screens.

are you guys getting an idea how widespread this is among the tvp users? i assume most of your users are using windows, not macs, but how many tvp animators draw on cintiqs rather than tablets? to me character animation on a tablet is essentially impossible; fine for little strokes and graphic shapes but not for the millions of accurate lines one needs to draw while character animating.

do we know for sure this didn't occur with tvp10 32bit? if we do need to switch back, is the switch back trouble-free? if not tvp10, how about the latest version of 9 (which i never used; i jumped from 8.6 to 10.0.9).

thanks all,
cc
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

The problem was never reported with the 32 bits version.
Anyway, you can install both versions (32 and 64) at the same time, and test it for yourself.

As for one/two screens, we have the problem both on my MacPro (10.7.x) with two screens, and Elodie's iMac (10.8.x) with its single built-in screen.
But we both have that problem only if the dock is showing, once hidden the problem disappears totally.

Mac/windows users base are close. But not that many did switch to MacOSX 10.7 or 10.8, which I understand :)
CharlieC

Post by CharlieC »

hmmm- i think i've mitigated the dock issue by always having it hide with its auto-hide function and i've been opening tvp from the app folder rather than the dock, but i'm on 10.6.8 still...
"curiouser and curiouser..." (-alice in wonderland)
Charlie C

charliecanfield.com
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
chip Apple M1
memory 16 GB