Creating Tone Layer using Masks ?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
dan

Creating Tone Layer using Masks ?

Post by dan »

Hi All !

Usually I’m making few layers for my character (so I will be able to tweak it later if I decide to change colors).

1st layer - outline of the character
2nd layer – color (using FRONT option)
3rd layer – Tone (using Black color over the color layer, and use lower opacity then 100%)
4th layer – Highlight (same as Tone but with White color)

Now, I have few questions that I hope somebody can help me out with:

1 – When I already painted my character, what if I decided to change the color of his hair or shirt after painted already a lot of frames ?
Is there a way to change the color without manually Repaint it ?

2 – When I drawing the Tone, I usually place it OVER the color layer (so in the hierarchy it looks like: 1 – Outline, 2 – Tone, 3 – Color)
But when I do that I need to draw carefully inside the color so I won’t get out of the Outline and start erases the tone that came out of the outline.
Is there any way I can still use a Tone layer (not using Behind over the original Color layer) but let me paint the Tone inside the Color only without worry that it will cross out the outline ? (Something like draw using masks)

I’m not sure if you understand what I mean, please check the file I attached so it will be more clear to understand.
Pay attention to the layer with the TONE before I cleaned it (I just put it for example so you see how I originally create it real fast, and help me solve it paint like a mask INSIDE the color without draw on the color layer using ‘Behind’) …hope that there is a solution for that to speed up my work.

Thanks !
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Dan1a.png (29.95 KiB) Viewed 12822 times
DanExample-1a.tvp
Example...
(308.2 KiB) Downloaded 1440 times
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

1) There is a powerful color replacer tool in the fx stack :
color/Color Replacer

2) You can use the stencils. On your color layer, check the little box, at the left side of the layer's name(S column), in the layer panel. Now draw on your Tone or Highlight layer, the color will only apply where color is present.
Manuel
dan

Post by dan »

WoW !
That’s really powerful !
Finally I know what those stencils buttons are for...I never used those before because I didn't understand how they work... that was simple and awesome ! :D

weird thing, the color replacer is awesome, but it didn't let me replace the 'black color' it somehow ignore it, but replace all the rest of the colors...

Thank you so much for your help !