Toggle Mask Icon in Menu Panel

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
Svengali

Toggle Mask Icon in Menu Panel

Post by Svengali »

What is the current George command to toggle the Mask Icon in the Menu Panel? The equivalent keystroke command is Tools:Toggle Stencil.

thanks, Sven
Mads Juul

Re: Toggle Mask Icon in Menu Panel

Post by Mads Juul »

Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Hi Mads,

Well, yes, that works for ONE layer (for which the script must supply an explicit LayerID).

But this command doesn't really serve the purpose I need which is to Toggle the Mask Icon in the Menu Panel between ON and OFF.

A manual example.

1. I have four layers... LayerA, LayerB, layerC, LayerD.
2. I have DIFFERENT stencil shapes on LayerB, LayerC and LayerD.
3. LayerB stencil is ON, LayerC stencil is OFF, LayerD stencil is INVERTED.
4. When I draw on LayerA, I can only draw INSIDE the stencil from LayerB and OUTSIDE the stencil from LayerD (in otherwords, where insideB and outsideD overlap).
5. Now I want to enable draw everywhere on LayerA. I could do this two ways:
A. Go to LayerB and turn off stencil. Go to LayerD and turn off stencil.
B Or use a custom button to temporarily toggle both off - the button is assigned KEY: TOOLS: TOGGLE STENCIL, (which toggles the Menu Mask icon OFF).
6. Now I want to activate the SAME stencils again. I could do this two ways:
A. Go to LayerB and turn on stencil. Go to LayerD and turn on stencil.
B. Use the same custom button to toggle both on again. - button assigned with KEY: TOOLS: TOGGLE STENCIL, (which toggles the Menu Mask icon ON).

I want to know which George command will do what the button assignment - KEY: TOOLS: TOGGLE STENCIL - does, inside a script (i.e. toggle the Menu Panel Mask Icon).

I also want the George command to test and tell me if the Menu Panel Mask icon is currently ON or OFF, inside a script.

Can you can see how this script command to toggle ANY combination of active masks of various levels ON and OFF would be helpful in a script?

Sven

p.s. IF there isn't a command like this in George perhaps it could be added? tv_Stencil (on | off | toggle) and without argument, result is the current global Stencil state?
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

On a related note, there seems to be an unhealthy potential for confusion between the functionality of the Menu Panel Mask Icon, individual layer masks and (oddly) the marching ants - outlined, selected area for any and all layers.

I'm not sure all this is well thought out yet? They all interact with each other in surprising ways... However, the creative possibilities are intriguing!

Sven
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Sorry I misunderstood. I don't think it is possible through George. Herve?
-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Update:

In TVP 9.5 the following code would work to turn Alpha masking off, then back on. Things have changed in TVP 10 so I guess a new command will be necessary to serve as a "global mask" control. I'd suggest tv_Stencil or tv_Mask, which could read and set or toggle the global mask state.

Code: Select all

tv_Preserve
MaskState = result
tv_Preserve None

tv_warn MaskState     // see what original MaskState was before being set to None

tv_Preserve MaskState     // reset mask to its original status

Whatever the state of the mask, the above script commands would turn the mask off, pause with a message and return the mask to it's original state. Now, since each layer seems to have it's own mask button, the tv_Preserve command is neutered.

Sven