My Dog Tulip on Blu-Ray?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Fabrice

Re: My Dog Tulip on Blu-Ray?

Post by Fabrice »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Fabrice,
The only French subtitled versions were the poorly translated ones that Norman had done and then the one that was translated properly by Mr. Million's staff at Annecy, the year Tulip was screened there. This was done on just one 35 mm print and in such a way that the text ended on the flip side of the film stock thus leaving the projectionist with just two choices: either project the imagery out of focus or the subtitles out of focus... to my chagrin the festival opted for having our film projected with the imagery out of focus, which can bring a grown animator to tears. I believe that Norman still has that print. I am not sure what you mean by English subtitled -- the film is all in English... :|
Well, films use to be subtilted for deaf people in France, so I guess it might be the same here.
It's also a good way to learn english, especially for people who have some difficulties to understand the english accent. :P

nb : If I remember well, the subtitle in Annecy was from Norman, but they have rewritten some parts of it because it was too bad.
Fabrice Debarge
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

The law is the same over here; anything you make for TV has to be subtitled for the hearing impaired, but since Tulip has never been released for TV (yet) and I don't know if Netflix requires it, then that feature might be missing. But to know find out for sure you would have to ask Norman.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
mox

Post by mox »

I was looking for an european blu ray version too and the only one I found is a dvd (without subtitle) on an UK website (at play dot com).
The uk release date was only the 6 of May so, hopefully we may expect new editions.
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:The law is the same over here; anything you make for TV has to be subtitled for the hearing impaired, but since Tulip has never been released for TV (yet) and I don't know if Netflix requires it, then that feature might be missing. But to know find out for sure you would have to ask Norman.
found it on iTunes for $9.99
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Paul Fierlinger

And I just marvel over the system that happily leaves the two of us in the dust, empty handed and without a word of explanation known otherwise amongst civilized people as a financial and distribution report (still no DVDs for us either).
Paul
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:And I just marvel over the system that happily leaves the two of us in the dust, empty handed and without a word of explanation known otherwise amongst civilized people as a financial and distribution report (still no DVDs for us either).
:shock:
liberal system leaves a big room to all sort of racketeers cheating your work and your money. :(
Paul Fierlinger

The totalitarian system was worse... they wouldn't let you even out of the country to represent your movie -- that would be done by comrad... damn.. forgot his name. Anyway, it's not going to happen to us with Slocum anymore.
Paul
artfx

Post by artfx »

Is Slocum your new project? Is it for internet and/or mobile distribution? I have been really looking into this and see that as my next target for a number of reasons. Japan and South Korea already have markets where mobile, smart phones and tablets, eclipse sales of desktop PCs and content consumption is happening almost exclusively on these devices now. America is quite a ways behind, but still in 2011, sales of these devices has outpaced PCs already.

I am seriously thinking mobile animation... especially serials.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Paul Fierlinger

Terrence, I thought you knew what we have been doing with Slocum already. PM me your e-mail address and I will send you via WETRANSFER our WIP, if you want -- it's an hour long by now and takes 2GB of memory -- can your computer handle this?

And yes, Slocum is designed for serialization in approximately 3 to 4 minute increments weekly. When completed, the program (which is what we call it) will be probably 90 minutes or more. Once you see it, you might be surprised how we circumvented the need for VO actors. Sandra and I have been working on this for a little over two years now and with having income from temp teaching, small commercial jobs etc. we don't need any other person's money to produce this ourselves. The only person we pay is our composer, Shay Lynch, who had offered to work on it on spec, but we prefer this arrangement. I say this just to make clear that a production of this size can be done by anyone at almost zero cost, which means that every dime from future sales falls directly into our pockets.

I would love to hear more about what you know about Korea and Japan's sales strategies... can we Skype some day?
Paul
artfx

Post by artfx »

I knew you were working on something totally independent and had spoken of the iPad/iPhone market, but I never knew the title or the specifics. I will PM you my email and Skype info.

I think you have the right idea. Circumventing the gatekeepers, the publishers, broadcasters and film distributors is the ideal road for indie artists to travel today and it seems to be more open than ever. I still don't yet know if I want to target the Asian market, as I live over here, or the English speaking world, but I do know that I want to do something along these lines and am excited to get started. I may try a few different things and see what catches on.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Paul Fierlinger

My criteria for trying a few things is to consider these points:
1. I have to have personal knowledge and experience with the subject of the storyline (viz Dogs, or Sailing, or Old Age)
2. I will select only a topic which has a preexisting and potentially wide viewer base, such as the above subjects.
3. The story must be a true story and I will organize it into small installment chapters of 3 to 4 minutes a piece.

I also look for stories or books which are in the public domain and I search for ways to tell the story without VO actors unless I know of some extremely good ones who will work on spec. I prefer not to have to incorporate others but myself to work on spec, which scratches out what I just said.

I don't see many people plopping down 20 bucks to order an unknown feature film or even short, but I believe many people can be found to plop down 35 bucks to subscribe to an installment story with the promise of returning the money at anytime they loose interest in following it (except after the last chapter :) ).

Here's an example, which is my current project:
Sailing Alone Around the World was written 130 years ago and the book is a favorite of every sailing person in the world. It was written by Joshua Slocum, the first man to circumnavigate the globe solo in a small sailboat. Slocum has become something of a folk hero amongst pleasure boaters worldwide because they all dream of doing something like that, even when they know this will never happen (they dream on).

There are six million registered pleasure boats in the U.S. If only 1% of these will subscribe to my program, I will collect one million dollars and go straight to Start and pass Jail.
Paul
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:, I will collect one million dollars and go straight to Start and pass Jail.
Let's surf on your board !
(on your "boardwalk"…in this case ;o))

… will you manage your website by yourself ?

(a lot to think about in your few sentences)
Paul Fierlinger

We can throw the dice on my board. :) Will I manage my own App? I've given this much thought and listened to the advice of others. Svengali has offered me much help with actual experiments. So much is happening in this department so fast that I have decided to postpone this decision until the program is ready for release -- who knows what sort of services might be available by then? Ideally (I think) would be to have my own app but I would have to hire an AppMaster to run it (and even build it). By the time we are finished there might be good services in existence that will cost less.

I plan to have each installment come out on its own page (like a blog) with related stories to that particular episode written by me, links to websites which feature other related stories or photographs, and a space for commentaries of other subscribers. My stories will be short essays on any subject ranging from what I found particularly difficult to animate or what I found difficult to research and am not certain about historically.

I believe that this way of distributing the episodes will minimize piracy. Sandra and I are still thinking about when, if ever, we would publish a DVD for subsribers to recieve as a bonus for finishing the program. We have been thinking of perhaps instead of opening our program to piracy so early we would only a few years later publish a book with the DVD, again, to discourage piracy.
Paul
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

Hey Terrence!!! long time good buddy..

Paul, have you ever considered throwing your hat into the comics/webcomics arena????
I collect two series from Stephen King right now, The Stand, and Darktower. They are distributed through Marvel as individual comics and then they are assembled as graphic novels and distributed in hardbound book form.

I would collect your works, no brainer there. ~peace. ha! a signed copy would go much higher prices too. :D
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
goomba478

Post by goomba478 »

Paul, I had no idea of all the complex politics behind the release of your film and it's quite saddening to hear that you know just about as much as I do about the DVD/Blu-Ray status of Tulip :(. I guess in the meantime I will have to purchase it on iTunes but it really bums me out hearing you won't get any of the money. I think it's really great though about your upcoming installment project and promise to be on board :) I know almost nothing of the topic of sailing, but that makes it all the more interesting. Best of luck to you and your wife and if you hear anything about the physical copies of your movies let us know here on the forums. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond :) Sorry I didn't write back sooner, I'm overseas right now visiting my wife's relatives and didn't have Internet access for quite some time.