brush/pencil effect plugin?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
walterhemming

brush/pencil effect plugin?

Post by walterhemming »

Is there a way to make already animated sequence, that has a smooth black line, to appear to have a rough drawn line? A plugin of some sort?

I'm exporting from 3D software with 2D style, and would like to figure out, in which stage I should roughen up the line.

Sorry if this has been answered, or it's utterly obvious, but I couldn't find an answer to it myself.

Thanks...
malcooning

Re: brush/pencil effect plugin?

Post by malcooning »

There's nothing automatic like this, no plugin of sort.
But there are many techniques by which you can achieve this (andom paper textures, Bump distortion FX, preserving transparency... och, it will be a long list.)
walterhemming

Post by walterhemming »

Thanks... As the animation will be pretty short, about 30 sec, I might just rotoscope, and draw again over the line.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

"Rough drawn line" will look different for each of us. Years ago I had the very same problem. I had a sequence of rendered wireframes, black lines on white. I used a couple of PS filters to do the job: enlarge dark areas, blur, then reduced to bitmap with diffusion dither. You may throw in more filtes to your taste, but two points are crucial: you need to have a wide line to begin with, and all these filters only work with black on white, not with black on transparent.

Fortunately TVP can do all that and even more, I'd fill a layer with paper texture and use that as a stencil to get really rough lines.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

slowtiger wrote:... I'd fill a layer with paper texture and use that as a stencil to get really rough lines.
I've used this (stencil) way a couple of times, and it worked just fine,
I mean you can tweak/refine the effect by modifying the "paper" aspect (sharp/soft/gamma/contrast/luma ...),
after few successive attempts ("trial and error" technic), you can get exactly what you're looking for.
oh, and you can animate the texture as well (animated stencil instead of "still" image texture). 8)
walterhemming

Post by walterhemming »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make some tests in PS as well as in TVP.
MichaelT

Post by MichaelT »

there's a PS plugin (but it's also available as a standalone app) called akvis sketch (http://akvis.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). It also works in batch mode for lots of pictures.
Boomslang

Post by Boomslang »

ZigOtto wrote:
slowtiger wrote:... I'd fill a layer with paper texture and use that as a stencil to get really rough lines.
I've used this (stencil) way a couple of times, and it worked just fine,
I mean you can tweak/refine the effect by modifying the "paper" aspect (sharp/soft/gamma/contrast/luma ...),
after few successive attempts ("trial and error" technic), you can get exactly what you're looking for.
oh, and you can animate the texture as well (animated stencil instead of "still" image texture). 8)
How can you use a paper texture as a stencil?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

keyframe the Paper as source in an animlayer,
then apply a Lumakey (or a ScanCleaner_FX), and turn On the Stencil gadget of this layer.
ryanredrider

Post by ryanredrider »

Rough pencil effect can be created using the animbrush. Turn on a rough paper and draw a small dot representing your pencil point. Create a dozen or so frames of this varying the size and opacity just a little. Then cut it out as an animbrush. Play with the settings, in particular use random animation and not loop.