Crash Custom Brush

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
kenno

Crash Custom Brush

Post by kenno »

Dear Tv-Paint Team,

First i have to say that I'm a huge TV-Paint Fan. I enjoy working with the programm and it has some feature i haven't found in any other program. Such a feature is the custom Brush. I use animated brushes a lot.

And here's the Problem:

I made a tool bar containing a set of 9-Custom Brushes each in two sizes. When i did them i was working on a project which was black and white.
Now i wantto use them as colored brushes so i have to set them to smear-stamp or someting like that. I copy the action and paste them to another toolbar. But when i click on the new action Tv-Paint crashes without any warning. I haven't been able to figure out why.

This is what i do in a short version:

1. I have a working brush
2. I want do alter the brush settings and save the new brush so i:
alter the settings
right click on an empty toolbar --> Grab current Tool
3. Click on the new (grabbed) Tool --> TvPaint crashes.

I need support.

Greets, K.
Eric Scholl

Re: Crash Custom Brush

Post by Eric Scholl »

Welcome Kenno,

First, what's your version of TVP, and do you work on Mac or Windows ?
We tried to reproduce this bug, but it seems to work correctly.

What happen if you duplicate another brush (using smear or not) from the tool-bin panel ?
kenno

Post by kenno »

I use TVPaint 9 Pro (9.5.18) and vista 64bit.

My best,

K.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I can not reproduce the bug either.
What happen if you duplicate another brush (using smear or not) from the tool-bin panel ?
hmmm good question indeed. Those are also animbrushes in the Tool-Bin panel. Do you have the same behavior/crash Kenno ?
Fabrice Debarge
kenno

Post by kenno »

I reproduced the effect. I uploaded the panel with 9 brushes in 2 Size:

http://johanneskrohn.de/daten/xbrush.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So if you select one of these Brushes it works. I used the grab-procedure to resize the brushes and that worked, too. I made a new tool bar, selected one of the brushes toggled smear mode and grabbed it to the new tool bar. This time i exported the toolbar first:

http://johanneskrohn.de/daten/Xbrush_Smear.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I reimport this 'smear' toolbar and i select one of the last brushes TVPAint crashes. The first 6 Brushes are okay. (edit: Brush nr.8 is okay too.)
So if it's a TVPaint problem the same should happen when you import the toolbar.

I hope this helps.

My best, K.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I felt adventurous and imported the problematic brush, The first 3 or 4 brushes in the series worked OK until I got to the first one of the last grouping, which indeed crashed TVP.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

hi Kenno,
in your data folder, I discovered the 2 last animbrushes haven't been saved correctly, ("bad file" message, or empty file if you try to load them),
try to remake them from the originals (from the previous bar), and take care to leave enough time (and space) for recording (writing) them.
smearbrush_badfile.png
smearbrush_badfile.png (78.51 KiB) Viewed 15426 times
kenno

Post by kenno »

Thanks for trying the brushes. I'm not shure how to leave time and space because i'm doing the same thing and sometimes it works and sometimes it fails. I managed to get the brushes working. But TVPaint crashed about 180 times while i was doing this and it cost so much time, so i'd be glad to know how to avoid that.

Many thanks for crashing your TVPaint for me.

Greets, K.