Render Camera to a New Project deletes frames from layer

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
skomdra

Render Camera to a New Project deletes frames from layer

Post by skomdra »

Hi,
I have a work project file where I organize all scanned images into layers, and then I render the camera in resolution for output, but, what ever I do, in the rendered project three frames are missing. As you see in the attachments, the two timelines are obviously different, and I'm certain that I didn't delete any frames myself. Is it some kind of bug? Did anybody else crossed on this problem? What should I do? I need every frame.
capture of original timeline
capture of original timeline
original.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 15212 times
timeline of rendered project
timeline of rendered project
rendered.jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 15212 times
p.s. four frames, I just noticed that in down layer one is missing also
-----
TV Paint 11.5.3 Windows 10
skomdra

Re: Render Camera to a New Project deletes frames from layer

Post by skomdra »

I found what was the problem, It obviously creates some strange behavior when you try to render 30fps project with 25 fps camera. (I discovered this when I tried to change fps in original project and the same frames disappeared again). Maybe it is logical to everybody, but for me changing from 30 fps to 25 should preserve every frame. I solved this problem with exporting all frames as an image sequence and importing them again, but this time I was careful not to chose 30 fps from drop-down, but 25 fps. Now all the frames are here. So, I wonder, is it a bug, or this is some kind fps convention/standard which I'm not aware of?
-----
grumbleboy

Post by grumbleboy »

It's possible that you didn't have the "Stretch to frame rate" box checked on the "Export Footage" window that comes up. Or it might need to be unchecked--I always forget and have to experiment with it if I'm changing frame rates like that.

Post by slowtiger »

You should train yourself to always use the same frame rate throughout a project. If you must change fps, alweays use "Modify Project" for it. Anything else will most certainly not give you the exact result you want.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

slowtiger wrote:You should train yourself to always use the same frame rate throughout a project. If you must change fps, alweays use "Modify Project" for it. Anything else will most certainly not give you the exact result you want.
I agree, but I would like to point that I did use Modify Project and than I discovered that the same frames disappear when I change frame rate from 30 to 25. Then it became weird. And that's how I figured what's wrong. It's not a big deal, but I think it's good to know this in advance.
-----
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

slowtiger wrote:You should train yourself to always use the same frame rate throughout a project.
I don't think this would be too practical. There are good reasons to work at times in two's, which means setting the project to 12fps, and at other times there's a need to work in single frames, which requires a frame rate of 24fps. I am referring to NTSC of course.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Ah, OK. I do that myself - working on 12 fps, then adding exposures later to make it 24 fps.

I was indeed referring to converting between 24, 25 and 30.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

skomdra wrote:I agree, but I would like to point that I did use Modify Project and than I discovered that the same frames disappear when I change frame rate from 30 to 25.
in the [modify Project] panel, don't forget to uncheck the "Stretch to New FrameRate" option,
if this option is OFF, you can modify your project from one framerate to one other without modifying the layers's content.
8)