"Cheap Animation Style" - (animations I made)

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
dan

"Cheap Animation Style" - (animations I made)

Post by dan »

Hello There PEOPLE ! :D
How are you?

I would like to share with you guys some of my private animations (I do on my free time).
I used "cheap animation style" just like Don Hertzfeldt used to do... (but paperless and of course I draw my own style, original materials only).

Lots of people ask me two common questions via my youtube accounts (Yes, I have more the one hehe).
1 - Is it a software or light table, pencil & papers?
2 - What software do I use?

I keep answer those questions again and again... even talked about it on one of my latest videos, but still the questions never stop... good thing that I always do my best to answer :)

I don't own TV Paint Animation Pro But I borrowed my Friend's old Mirage for now.

~--> CLICK HERE to watch My LATEST Animations <--~

ImageImage
ImageImage

* Sorry about my bad English :?
Paul Fierlinger

Re: "Cheap Animation Style" - (animations I made)

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

It's funny... I got a laugh out of each one and even the tongue-in-cheek bombast of the entire website. Too bad the simple drawings look like Flash drawings. Try something more freehand style and you might like it and it'll take you perhaps further. Good timing, crude jokes in an innocent way and never goes over the top. I'm surprised at myself too, if anyone is wondering how I can like this.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Err ??!… that's INSANE !

(mais j'aime très :D )
dan

Post by dan »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:It's funny... I got a laugh out of each one and even the tongue-in-cheek bombast of the entire website. Too bad the simple drawings look like Flash drawings. Try something more freehand style and you might like it and it'll take you perhaps further. Good timing, crude jokes in an innocent way and never goes over the top. I'm surprised at myself too, if anyone is wondering how I can like this.
I Agree, some of the animations may look like flash, but did you watch the earlier webisodes for example:

"The Nonsense Rap"

And also:

Still not really like a pencil emulation but more like a pen emulation, I even painting empty places manually just like I would do on a regular pen and a paper, I enjoy it even if it may take me longer to accomplish my tasks.

Here's an Example of how I draw one of the characters:
(it's very basic but I made it because of the requests of my subscribers, 4 year old drawing style sometimes funny)

People still confused and keep asking me if it's old-fashion paper and pencil animation.
BTW - I'm also doing colorful animations, but this "cheap animation style" is something I feel I can animate like in freestyle, not working weeks or months as I used to work on other animations, the nonsense and bloody concept around it is just for my own fun, nothing I can be proud of... but it seems that some people found it amusing so I decided to make more whenever I have some free time :)
Paul Fierlinger

What's your day job?
Paul
Byron

Post by Byron »

Love your channel - love your characters and ideas, it's all really funny and well put together. I agree that it would be nice to see the animation developed in a more freehand style (still 'cheap' but less Flash like) - but even as it is, I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks.

:D
dan

Post by dan »

Byron wrote:Love your channel - love your characters and ideas, it's all really funny and well put together. I agree that it would be nice to see the animation developed in a more freehand style (still 'cheap' but less Flash like) - but even as it is, I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks.

:D
Thank you :)

Paul, I'm a freelancer so my day job mostly focus on producing original music & animation but also video editing and graphic designs sometimes.
Paul Fierlinger

Paul, I'm a freelancer so my day job mostly focus on producing original music & animation but also video editing and graphic designs sometimes.
A good life then...you seem to be doing everything right and I wish you all the best!
Paul
dan

Post by dan »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
A good life then...you seem to be doing everything right and I wish you all the best!
Thank you!
Well... it's not easy as it may sound...
Sometimes it's hard to get new projects /clients but I do my best and work hard to keep my day job alive :)
Paul Fierlinger

And the only way it will ever get better is by drawing for ever, day in and day out. It took me 50 years to get my first feature theatrical film and right after that one I got my second one -- making it the same way you are making your films right now. :)
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hahaha, totally crazy and insane... I love this :mrgreen:

I particularly laugh with the nonsense Rap and your tutorial ^^
dan

Post by dan »

Elodie wrote:Hahaha, totally crazy and insane... I love this :mrgreen:

I particularly laugh with the nonsense Rap and your tutorial ^^
Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad that you liked it.

More about the process for anybody who like to know how it's done:
When I got started with the "cheap animation style" I was thinking that people will hate it because of the "4 year old drawing style" but it seems that people actually don't really care how it looks, and also there are no scripts... no storyboards, no planing at all (besides the songs: "Nonsense Rap" and "Bakon - I wanna Draw you"). It's the very first project I actually open a recording session, record my weird voices and if I like the "story" that I came up with, I start to animate it in freestyle so every webisode is also a surprise for myself because I have no clue what it will look like at until I'm done.

" BAKON - I Wanna Draw You "

" THE CHAMPIONSHIP FAMILY "

" MURDER SHOP "

" INTERACTIVE PHIL "

And... there are many others at my YouTube channel :)
I Keep on creating so if you're interested to be the first to know whenever I upload a new animation,
feel free to SUBSCRIBE: http://youtube.com/MrDanInsane

* Sorry about my bad English