Assign PAN, ROTATE or ZOOM to wacom pen button?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
TerryWu

Assign PAN, ROTATE or ZOOM to wacom pen button?

Post by TerryWu »

Hi guys, I did some research but I couldn't find anything on this topic. I was wondering if it was possible to assign the PAN, ROTATE or ZOOM workspace feature to the wacom pen buttons? In fact can you assign any tvp command to the pen/mouse buttons

computer spec:
Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 Tablet PC with wacom pen
cpu: 2.5ghz
ram: 3gb
HD: 320gb

Thanks in advance for the help
Terry Wu
Sierra Rose

Re: Assign PAN, ROTATE or ZOOM to wacom pen button?

Post by Sierra Rose »

Yes I have erase assigned to the lower button and the light table assigned to the upper toggle. You have to first assign those commands to a keystroke in edit\preferences\configuration...then in the Wacom control panel you assign the buttons to those keystrokes.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
TerryWu

Post by TerryWu »

Sierra K Rose wrote:Yes I have erase assigned to the lower button and the light table assigned to the upper toggle. You have to first assign those commands to a keystroke in edit\preferences\configuration...then in the Wacom control panel you assign the buttons to those keystrokes.
Hi Sierra, thanks for the reply.

I probably didn't make it clear. In the keyboard shortcut configuration I can find the commands for panning, rotating and zooming only in one direction or set increments. What I would like to to do is assign commands from buttons on the workspace window onto the pen buttons, please see 'TVP_NavButtons.png' attachment.
TVP_NavButtons.png
TVP_NavButtons.png (12.66 KiB) Viewed 30971 times
Also in the keyboard shortcut config there seems to be a middle mouse button keystroke but no right mouse button keystroke, see 'KeyboardShortCuts.png' attachment.
KeyboardShortCuts.png
KeyboardShortCuts.png (34.98 KiB) Viewed 30969 times
And last, on the tablet properties it does allow you to assign a modifier onto the pen button, ie 'ctl & alt' on the lower button, but does not seem to allow me to rotate my workspace when I use it with left click.
PenTabletProperties.png
PenTabletProperties.png (51.57 KiB) Viewed 30970 times
Just to let you know I'm using a tablet PC so when I draw the keyboard cannot be used.

I hope that was clearer.
Terry Wu
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I seem to be able to assign CTRL + ALT to my Intuos3 modifier button and use it to rotate the project worktop.

EDIT: ah, sorry, didn't notice you was using a tablet and tablet control panel. In this case the limitation is in the Wacom driver, I believe. Because you are assigning one switch to a modifier, but using both switches at the same time (one is the tip of the pen being pressed down, and the other is the side switch). Which tablet do you have? Does it have any buttons on it while is slate mode?
control panel.png
control panel.png (83.43 KiB) Viewed 30959 times
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Oh, I don't know about a tablet PC...wish I could help.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
TerryWu

Post by TerryWu »

malcooning wrote:I seem to be able to assign CTRL + ALT to my Intuos3 modifier button and use it to rotate the project worktop.

EDIT: ah, sorry, didn't notice you was using a tablet and tablet control panel. In this case the limitation is in the Wacom driver, I believe. Because you are assigning one switch to a modifier, but using both switches at the same time (one is the tip of the pen being pressed down, and the other is the side switch). Which tablet do you have? Does it have any buttons on it while is slate mode?
control panel.png
Thanks for the reply malcooning. I'm using Fujitsu T5010 tablet pc and has buttons on the side but its only for Fujitsu applications I believe. I did test the modifiers in photoshop and it works fine. I'm not sure if it's TVP not happy with wacom driver or the other way round since the modifiers work in photoshop. The intuos3 driver doesn't work on the tablet pc. I guess I have to put up with it for now. Hope there will be a fix or an alternative.

Sierra: no worries thanks for your help anyway.
Terry Wu
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

TerryWu wrote:And last, on the tablet properties it does allow you to assign a modifier onto the pen button, ie 'ctl & alt' on the lower button, but does not seem to allow me to rotate my workspace when I use it with left click.
I've tried to assign Crtl+Alt to the pen's lateral button, on my tablet-pc (lenovo X60T) it works fine, in tvpa, pressing the pen button + click and drag => rotate the canvas. Though I wouldn't change it, because the pen button to emulate the RMB is much more useful imo.
TerryWu wrote:I'm using Fujitsu T5010 tablet pc and has buttons on the side but its only for Fujitsu applications I believe. I did test the modifiers in photoshop and it works fine. I'm not sure if it's TVP not happy with wacom driver or the other way round since the modifiers work in photoshop.
well it seems it's not tvpa blamable, as it's working here (wacom driver v5.05-7). 8)
Attachments
latbuttonmodifier.png
latbuttonmodifier.png (27.14 KiB) Viewed 30919 times
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I know that the buttons on the Fujitsu T5010 are programmable. Not sure how exactly, because I don't have one, but usually it's through control panel. I programmed the buttons on my Gateway tablet, although I had to do it through the registry. So I use these buttons mainly for interaction functions that replace ALT and CTRL.
TerryWu

Post by TerryWu »

Thank you so much to everyone who replied and a special thank you to malcooning. After a little investigation from malcooning suggestion I have succesfully assign the crtl and alt keys to the buttons on the side. I know it's only a small issue but it helps me immensely...wahoo :D

ZigOtto: I have wacom driver v5.08 not sure if that was the issue but since I can now use the side buttons it doesn't matter as much. If I still need it then I'll try down grade it v5.05-7. Thanks
Terry Wu
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

TerryWu wrote:Thank you so much to everyone who replied and a special thank you to malcooning
;)
I'm glad you solved it to your liking.