lame lemec's drawings!

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
ZigOtto

Re: lame lemec's drawings!

Post by ZigOtto »

exactly, when several layers are concerned, that allows you to choose which one you want to pick,
in that case, thumbnails are helpful, (though thumbnails a bit larger would have been better imo.) :)
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

oooooo...it does.....thanks. Cooooooool!!!!!
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
lemec

Post by lemec »

Bruna Tenorio. Reference from http://www.style.com.

After doing all this painting with big fat brushes, I wondered how well I'd be able to draw people using pencil and pen-like thin brushes. That was several days ago, and I tell ya, the most frustrating times I have as a craftsman are when my skills don't meet up with my standards. Anyways, this one turned out OK - I finally learned that a likeness is as much about the action in a person's face (what they're doing with their face) as the structure of the face itself. In many ways, drawing a person's portrait is like a comedian doing a celebrity impersonation. You can only pull it off when you know the subtleties of a person's character. The same thing goes with the portrait. You've got to make that face do the same things that the actual person would do with that face.
Attachments
bruna.jpg
bruna.jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 30242 times
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

nice rendering Mark, although both her nose and mouth should move to the left (quite a bit...check the vertical line from the corner of her eye to her nostrel)
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
lemec

Post by lemec »

I'd say that painting taught me a lot about rendering. However, it really doesn't matter how nice you render something if you render it in the wrong place.

Starting a drawing is really hard because carefully measured guidelines often don't give you a good idea if your measurements are right in the first place until you're partway through your rendering, ESPECIALLY if your measurements aren't compared against the right parts of the picture. Sometimes I'd set out to draw something, try to measure against something else, but not really get the feeling that it's the right place to put the line, but not really get the feeling that it's the wrong place to draw it, so impatience wins out and I wind up drawing the line anyways (and it turns out it was WRONG).

Lesson learned: If it doesn't feel 100% right on, it's wrong. It's too early to draw that part because there isn't anything that that part is subordinate to to compare against. Find what that part is subordinate to and draw that instead, then come back later.

Another lesson learned: Don't just measure against the nearest neighbour. Measure against the furthest extent of the total subordinate object and alignments against other neighbouring objects.

I'll be the first to admit that it's frustrating (and completely enraging) to try to be really careful and to try to do a good job only to be told by someone else with fresh eyesight that you screwed up royally. It's character building. Okay, you failed that attempt. Get over it. Accept your failure. Blame your way of doing things, not yourself. Change, get out of your comfort zone and get back in the saddle with a different grip on the reins. Thanks to everyone for your feedback!
Attachments
I did this drawing over two days. NOT TWO DAYS FULL TIME, mind you! There were a lot of times where I had to stop and think about where I screwed up in the previous drawing. I often had to goof off and play video games to clear my head. I spent most of my time gaming and in total, probably only spent about 6 hours on this. When you get stuck, you can't learn anything by sitting there exasperated, staring stupidly at your drawing. Ask yourself what you're trying to do and if you're trying to do the right thing. Goof off. Sleep if you must. But never ever run away from the problem, and never try and convince yourself that learning this difficult thing is unimportant.
I did this drawing over two days. NOT TWO DAYS FULL TIME, mind you! There were a lot of times where I had to stop and think about where I screwed up in the previous drawing. I often had to goof off and play video games to clear my head. I spent most of my time gaming and in total, probably only spent about 6 hours on this. When you get stuck, you can't learn anything by sitting there exasperated, staring stupidly at your drawing. Ask yourself what you're trying to do and if you're trying to do the right thing. Goof off. Sleep if you must. But never ever run away from the problem, and never try and convince yourself that learning this difficult thing is unimportant.
lemec

Post by lemec »

I'll say one thing for certain... After doing these detailed studies, regular sketching seems dirt easy.
Attachments
sketchies.jpg
lemec

Post by lemec »

yup... This may be the last drawing for a while. My 5 year old Wacom Cintiq SX died so I'll have to get a replacement.
Attachments
sketchies2.jpg
lemec

Post by lemec »

The next day after my tablet died I went out and got this amazing Wacom Cintiq 12WX. It's a LOT smaller than my 18SX and it's tilt sensitive. Oh, man, I can't believe how long I lived without tilt sensitivity on that 18SX, but I sure can't live without it now. I can finally make a pencil that behaves like a pencil.

Anyways, a bit of musing over some of my recent drawings helped me break through and understand the pecking order of perspective and structure and I feel I have a lot more control, the odd byproduct of that being that drawings appear to be looser.
Attachments
redpencil2.png
redpencil.png
lemec

Post by lemec »

I just bought a Wacom 6D Art pen to use with my Cintiq 12WX and wanted to give it a test drive.

I'm also experimenting with some of TVPaint's paper textures and brush settings.

3 hours.

I missed out on the slight tilt to the model's head and neck. Eyes seem a bit too widely spaced. Oh well. Something to pay attention to during the start of the next drawing.
Attachments
redpencil6.jpg
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

indeed... you still have some minor problems with the proportions, but i really like how you did this one.
Beautifull, keep it up!
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
lemec

Post by lemec »

Tantalus wrote:indeed... you still have some minor problems with the proportions, but i really like how you did this one.
Beautifull, keep it up!
I blame all of my proportional problems on my slipshod rough sketches. Soon, I realized that "rough sketch" is a terrible and misleading name for the beginning stage of a drawing. I misinterpreted the meaning of "rough sketch", feeling that the words "rough" and "sketch" carry connotations of careless and hastily-drawn stuff that you get done as soon as possible so that you can get on to the real work of rendering and nice line work.

To me, a rough drawing should consist of an accurate diagram or layout of the elements of your drawing. It's only rough in the sense that no effort or attention is paid towards making sure the lines are clean and nice and that there are no attempts to render the drawing beyond simple shadows. It is every bit as difficult to produce a rough sketch that gives off the sense that everything is in the right place as it is difficult to bring that rough sketch to a finished image where it actually seems as if light is reflecting and casting shadows and interacting with the damn thing!

The gruntwork of rendering mostly lies in making sure you create the right transitions of the right shape in the right place. The rough sketch should indicate the correct shape and place of the transitions or your transitions, no matter how nicely shaded, will be in the wrong place and it'll all go to hell in a dainty wicker handbasket filled with steel wool and rotten eggs and a pretty pink ribbon tied around the handle.

The burnt hand teaches best!
Attachments
I finally fixed up that erratic tilt sensing. Hooray!
I finally fixed up that erratic tilt sensing. Hooray!
lemec

Post by lemec »

Attachments
redpencil11.jpg
lemec

Post by lemec »

Messing about with airbrush settings. Managed to work out a "graphite" brush that gives me exceptional value control.
Attachments
natsketch.jpg
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Would you mind to share the settings for this "graphite" brush?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
lemec

Post by lemec »

(edit: youtube thingy fixed, thanks Tantalus!)
Attachments
naturalSketch.tvpx
Natural Sketch graphite pencil
(75.5 KiB) Downloaded 1063 times
Last edited by lemec on 04 Sep 2008, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.