Hi There

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Stefan

Hi There

Post by Stefan »

This must be the first time I ever enter anything at all on any forum (...I know, I know).
I am a Belgian based free-lance 2D animator with long time experience in animation as a director and animator but only four years or so experience
in cgi (started out with Mirage and shifted recently to TV Pain Animation Pro) .
I have been working both on independent as on commissioned work.
Samples of this can be found on http://www.stefanvermeulen.net

I hope to be able to update some recent work soon or submit something to the gallery.
A.o. some rotoscoped animation which I hope might make you question your views on the technique
(largely avoiding the clutter usually associated with it)

We'll see;

Bye,
Stefan
Sierra Rose

Re: Hi There

Post by Sierra Rose »

I didn't follow the ideas in the clip, but I very much admire your drawing.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
hisko

Post by hisko »

Stefan Welcome!
And thanks for animating 120 out of the 270 shots for 'Junkyard'.
Is there a place on the internet where your great film 'Suburbanites' can be seen entirely?
It will raise new discussions about rotoscoping. (Because it is not rotoscoped).
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

I loved your demoreel stefan...

welcome!

regards,
William
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Thanx, all of you.

About 'Suburbanites'
A bit of a late adopter I'm afraid. I've been looking at some options to publish the film on the net but haven't got around it yet.
Keep you informed.
hisko

Post by hisko »

AWN.com has a store, but if you want to show it for free in a reasonable quality, vimeo.com is nice. It's also possible there to show it in HD quality.
Do you own the rights?
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Neat stuff. I really like the silhouette-ish black and white material especially.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

The black-and white is indeed kind of my signature style.

I do own the rights to my films and will take a look at the vimeo-site. I think I saw somewhere another (canadian?) site though where you have to enter the films on DVD for selection first. But I 'll have to look into it.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Bummer, none of the reels will open for me... PC here that always plays anything with ease. Anyone else like me? (I doubt it :cry: )
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Paul Fierlinger

I got it. I forgot about the Ctrl/IE option (Firefox here). I'm with Sierra on this one; I didn't get it, unles these are short demos of something longer -- if that is the case it should be made clear.
EDIT- sorry, I got a call while I was typing this and pressed SUBMIT by mistake and Hadn't meant to sound aloof. Nice B&W graphics animation, btw; I just wish the stories were as precise as your drawing style.
Paul
hisko

Post by hisko »

Stefan,

I have to agree with Paul that it is not clear on your site that the clips are only samples of your work. People might think that the clips are complete films, which isn't the case.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Paul Fierlinger

Sven, that did the trick! Thanks!

Now I got a look at the entire sample reel and Stefan, I have to say that the trick of substituting in betweens with snazzy, syncopated music began to wear out on me pretty fast. When it's done as a transitional effect to boost the action from one point to the next, it more often than not does the trick, but if every film in the reel, which means every film you have made uses this device throughout, I hesitate and then think, 'You're not going to get away with this with me...'. So perhaps it's just me, but there it is; I said it.

You draw well, you also draw with a sense of motion, so it's not as if you didn't know what belongs between those holds and notes... maybe now is the time to just do it. :)
Paul
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Hi everyone,

apparently Hisko is absolutely right and it's not clear that the clips on the site are actually clips from longer films (sorry about that).

If anyone has a good idea on how I could clear this up in a simple way on the site, shoot.

Other clips are actually animatics (meant as storyboard samples) .
This should explain the 'music as substitute for in-betweens' - thing.
Don't worry Paul, on the whole my storytelling is aimed to be as clear as the drawings.Even a bit old fashioned in that.
I will look for a way to publish my films on the net asap.
hisko

Post by hisko »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Sven, that did the trick! Thanks!

Now I got a look at the entire sample reel and Stefan, I have to say that the trick of substituting in betweens with snazzy, syncopated music began to wear out on me pretty fast. When it's done as a transitional effect to boost the action from one point to the next, it more often than not does the trick, but if every film in the reel, which means every film you have made uses this device throughout, I hesitate and then think, 'You're not going to get away with this with me...'. So perhaps it's just me, but there it is; I said it.

You draw well, you also draw with a sense of motion, so it's not as if you didn't know what belongs between those holds and notes... maybe now is the time to just do it. :)
Paul,
It's a misunderstanding.
Stefan has made some beautiful films that have won lots of awards, and I'm sure one day he will put his entire films on internet (something that I can't do unfortunately, because I don't own the rights of my films).