Show us your workspace!

To talk about anything else
slowtiger

Re: Show us your workspace!

Post by slowtiger »

Here's where I spend my days.
1: the Cintiq, the (hypothetically) free space in front of it used to place it in tilted position to draw.
2: behind this is my G5 PPC Nr 1, the workhorse. I should sit on the red chair, but I had to take the pics.
3: here's the G3.
4: G5 PPC Nr 2, identic model, in case of emergency.
5: The old drawing board. Mostly to impress girls.
6: Music department. Looks impressive too, although most sounds come out of the G5 as well. (and before you ask: http://www.slowtiger.de/musik.html to listen to some stuff.)
7: Scanner and Sony miniDV. Just recently I learnt that this model can't record via Firewire on tape, which I always thought was possible.
8: Microphone. Decent one for singing and doing Foley work.
9: Several Super8 cameras in working condition. Don't ask about the Bolex H16. OK, since you asked: it's visible right under the yellow paint bottle in the first pic.
10: Bogon absorber shield made from high-density printed material.
I sit with a wall in my back, see the door at the right, and out of the windows at the left. Daylight comes in from the left, as I draw right-handed. In front of me there's a painting by my father on the wall, framed by LPs and CDs and speakers perfectly aligned to my working place.

TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
lemec

Post by lemec »

THIS... IS... SO... COOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!

I'm so glad to see so many people posting their workspaces! I was starting to think I was the odd one out for having such a complex (and cluttered) setup. And it's cool to see all the different gadgets that people use in their animation workflow!

Paul: got enough monitors? I can just imagine running a Matrix screensaver running on all those. It's a real command centre.

Anim8tor Cathy: So practical!

slowtiger: Nice -- you've somehow managed to keep the place orderly despite all the stuff you've got. My own floor is a disgrace.
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Paul: got enough monitors? I can just imagine running a Matrix screensaver running on all those. It's a real command centre.
lol ! :lol: toc, toc, neo ...
Fabrice Debarge
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Nice workspace, slowtiger! I love being surrounded by books. You couldn't see in my photos, but there are bookshelves galore in my living room.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Anim8tor Cathy

Post by Anim8tor Cathy »

slowtiger! I love your workspace! All those books! I am drooling! HAHAHA~ :D
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

(... and the other workplace I have is exactly contradicting .)

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Fabrice wrote:
lol ! :lol: toc, toc, neo ...
I can't see how anyone can have a decent workflow while working with a single monitor. Working with the HD, 16:9 format, even two monitors wasn't enough and 3 turns out to be just right. The forth one is my e-mail and Google search computer to which I attached another wide monitor so that it could serve as a backup to draw on. Sandra has exactly the same setup; three plus one. Our projects are long term, several years at a time commitments these days, and to work with anything less would be senseless puritanism and prove to be false economy.

Our latest gee whiz tool came with our discovery of the two and three part keyboard. I have the numbers pad to the left of my tablet and the alphabet pad under the monitor to the left of the (center) drawing one, because this is where all the type in windows seem to end up. There is no need for overlapping TVP panels on these monitors with enough room left to expand or place on its side any project window. Whether I'd be working on a vertical pan background or a horizontal one, I'll always have the entire layout in view with no overlapping panels in the area.

The same goes for space required for editing an 80 minute film in an NLE. So cut that laughter out! :lol:
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Paul is absolutely right: if you want to work, set up your workspace to your needs. If I spend most of the day in front of the screen, I should try to make this as comfortable and ergonomical as possible. The same goes for size and number of screens, harddrives, sheer computer power, and your seat.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I also have a dual screen config at home + the laptop :wink: (now that I'm aquitained with two screens, I can't imagine to work without them. It's so convenient !)
Fabrice Debarge
Paul Fierlinger

It's the nature of the beast. When you're working with software so dependent on panels (and which video/graphics applications isn't?) you are seriously handicapped having only one monitor to deal with the mess.

Cathy, what kind of eye sight do you have that you keep your monitor so far away in the distance?!
Paul
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I'm chuckling because everyone's work stations appear to me exactly as I imagined that person would have. I can't elaborate on this, I just see essences of each person's posts reflected in their space.

I can't post mine now because my bank of monitors (three) is obscured by the one one working computer/monitor I am using while I wait for my new computer to come home. But I will when I get it all set up again.

The huge difference I notice though between my own and all of yours makes me really laugh: I am surrounded by mirrors so I can have anatomy reference and I don't see any mirrors in all of yours. Shows what a beginner I really am.

Paul I'm keenly interested in this three part keyboard as I find it vexsome the way mine is all in one piece. What kind do you have?
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

I never thought of Markus (slowtiger) reading the Berlin newspaper "die tageszeitung" ... or is it just art-deco ?? :oops:

Sierra K Rose wrote:
Paul I'm keenly interested in this three part keyboard as I find it vexsome the way mine is all in one piece. What kind do you have?
It's the black one, fourth from the top.
http://www.comfortkeyboard.com/
I am using it as a two part keyboard and just separating the numbers pad. The keys are large, clunky and have wide gaps between each other, which looks like something designed by a Soviet era Russian at first glance, but I love it because i can easily discern the individual keys apart without looking (I am not a skilled typist). I understand that the alphabet part comes in two parts for oversize people who are so wide they have difficulties keeping their hands stretched out and next to each other when typing (which speaks to its new millennia U.S. era design).
Paul
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Klaus: what else? It's the only readable one.
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

but just a little bit small one, right?
I was writing for them in the early 80s for free - about alternative cinema and "Hausbesetzerkinos", while studying politics at the OSI.