Can not access Help files from program

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
idragosani

Re: Can not access Help files from program

Post by idragosani »

Anim8tor Cathy wrote:
Svengali wrote:
Hmm. I think the "manual" installed with the software isn't actually the real manual, but rather a place-holder. Check the file size - the real manual .pdf file should be 40,216 kb (that's the downloaded TVPPro manual in English)....

Sven
Interesting info! I will check this out when I get home tonight. - Thanks!
I have the full English manual installed and I still get the error. The file is there, it just won't load into Acrobat, for some reason. I can open the file directly, just can't open via the Help menu.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Beyond placing the manual.pdf file in the Data folder I don't have any other remedies. That's what worked for me. Only other thing I can think is that the HELP path is defined somewhere as being C:\Program Files\TvPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation Pro\Data. Is this the path to your Data folder?

Maybe one of our TVP hosts can "help".

Sven
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Svengali wrote:Beyond placing the manual.pdf file in the Data folder I don't have any other remedies. That's what worked for me. Only other thing I can think is that the HELP path is defined somewhere as being C:\Program Files\TvPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation Pro\Data. Is this the path to your Data folder?

Maybe one of our TVP hosts can "help".
Yep, tried everything to get it work from inside TVP. Even went through the registry and also took a look inside tvpaint.loc where the name of the file is defined. I suspect the issue is the way TVP is starting up Acrobat, maybe Acrobat is trying to find an external resource and can't.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

From DOWNLOADS:

If you have unintentionally delete one user manual or you can not open it by pressing the "F1" key, you can download an archive containing the English and French User Manuals.
Software English version
French version
TVP Animation Standard Edition
If you want to be able to open the manual
with TVP Animation please read this tutorial .
Download the English Manual of TVP Animation.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:From DOWNLOADS:

If you have unintentionally delete one user manual or you can not open it by pressing the "F1" key, you can download an archive containing the English and French User Manuals.
Software English version
French version
TVP Animation Standard Edition
If you want to be able to open the manual
with TVP Animation please read this tutorial .
Download the English Manual of TVP Animation.
Yeah, I've done all of that, it just doesn't open when I press F1 -- I get the same error Cathy mentions at the start of this thread.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

:) :D Well, the same here. I was hoping you hadn't known about this and would find out how to make it work. No matter what I tried, I never got it to work either; went to Kinko's and never looked back (until now).
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Paul Fierlinger wrote::) :D Well, the same here. I was hoping you hadn't known about this and would find out how to make it work. No matter what I tried, I never got it to work either; went to Kinko's and never looked back (until now).
Wonder if it's a new bug in 8.6? Well, I can still open the document manually.
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

went into preferences, set my F1 key to TVP Animation: Help

when I press F1 key, Adobe Acrobat launches the help file with no problem...

I did have to download PDF and install it in the data folder as discussed in previous post.

regards,
William
Last edited by masterchief on 20 May 2008, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
TVPaint Animation Pro v11
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

This all is rather odd.

Two more things to check - is the .pdf extension associated with Acrobat 7.0? Also, I'm using Acrobat 7.0.6 located in the Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat 7.0/Reader subfolder (filename AcroRd32.exe)

As a test I deleted the .pdf association, after which TVP couldn't bring up the manual.pdf file (but I didn't get any error message.) After re associating, I could again bring up the manual using the Help menu, no problem. Likewise, when I assign a function key to TVP:Animation: Help, that works too.

I searched and found a similar forum discussion from a while back in which malcooning said he simply reinstalled by overwriting the manual.pdf file in the Data folder and then it began to work. May be worth a try.

As a point of general info, I'm using TVP Pro 8.6 - in which, obviously, Help works fine for me.

Sven
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Svengali wrote:This all is rather odd.

Two more things to check - is the .pdf extension associated with Acrobat 7.0? Also, I'm using Acrobat 7.0.6 located in the Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat 7.0/Reader subfolder (filename AcroRd32.exe)

As a test I deleted the .pdf association, after which TVP couldn't bring up the manual.pdf file (but I didn't get any error message.) After re associating, I could again bring up the manual using the Help menu, no problem. Likewise, when I assign a function key to TVP:Animation: Help, that works too.

I searched and found a similar forum discussion from a while back in which malcooning said he simply reinstalled by overwriting the manual.pdf file in the Data folder and then it began to work. May be worth a try.

As a point of general info, I'm using TVP Pro 8.6 - in which, obviously, Help works fine for me.
I've tried everything to get the file to open inside of TVP. It's not an issue of file association since if I double-click on the file in Windows Explorer it opens right up. I put in a dummy path into tvpaint.loc, like 'MyData/manual.pdf' and when I hit F1, TVPaint popped up a dialog saying 'C:/Program Files/TVPaint Developpement/TVPaint Animation Pro/Data/MyData/manual.pdf' is an invalid path. When I remove the dummy path, TVPaint doesn't give an error, but (and this might not have been emphasized earlier) Acrobat is popping up the error that it can't find the file. So TVPaint is detecting that the file is there, but Acrobat isn't.

I am using Acrobat 8.1, BTW with Windows XP Home Edition, SP2

I suspect that Acrobat 8.1, for some reason, isn't handling spaces in the path for whatever reason.
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

idragosani wrote:I suspect that Acrobat 8.1, for some reason, isn't handling spaces in the path for whatever reason.
OK, it's a bug, it will be fixed soon in the next small update ( 8.6.1 ).
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

what is there to fix???

works fine on my system... I am using fresh install of TVPaint Animation PRO v8.6... WinXP PRO SP2

I also use Adobe Acrobat Professional v7.1.0

regards,
William
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

masterchief wrote:what is there to fix???

works fine on my system... I am using fresh install of TVPaint Animation PRO v8.6... WinXP PRO SP2

I also use Adobe Acrobat Professional v7.1.0
Apparently it's not working for at least 3 people (me, Cathy and Paul). So there is some combination of software that is making it break.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Hervé wrote:
idragosani wrote:I suspect that Acrobat 8.1, for some reason, isn't handling spaces in the path for whatever reason.
OK, it's a bug, it will be fixed soon in the next small update ( 8.6.1 ).
Now that's what I call good customer service! Thanks!
masterchief

Post by masterchief »

I am usually that guy who has the software problem all the time... it anit biorke, dont fix it.. dont want the bug fix to kill my installation, thats all.

guess what... I get my wacom mouse to work with TVPaint Animation PRO v8.6

the only problem is, it will only make a dot when I try to draw in the project wondow. all other wondows function great. after I touch project window with tip of stylus, mouse can draw just fine as nomrally expected. WEIRD, eh?

dont like wacom mouse anyway....

regards,
William