made in tvpaint

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Nicolas R

Re: made in tvpaint

Post by Nicolas R »

ZigOtto wrote::shock: this movie is going to be a BLAST !!! :D
Hisko, if you keep this high-level quality (graphic, colors, lights, animation, ...) all along the story,
(also if the story is good, and I'm pretty sure it is), Annecy 2010 could be a great Vintage, indeed! :D
Playing your 10" full-screen on a Dell 2407 is a pure delight for the eyes!
it's definitively the best animated piece I've ever seen, made entirely with TVPaint ... (standing ovation!) :lol:
Oh boy I have been thinking the very same thing, but I just CANNOT wait to see some of it animated.
Zig you sound like you saw some of it but from where; please i'm craving :twisted:
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Hisko is the Happy source!
ask to him, ask to him !!! :D
hisko

Post by hisko »

Wow,

Thanks for your very kind words, ZigOtto and Nicolas.
The story is the most important part of a film I think, and I can only tell for sure if it works if the film is finished.
I can only say that I'm trying as hard as I can to make it good, altering things along the way and I think it's getting better all the time, better, better beeeeettter (to paraphrase an english group of musicians from the 60's).
If people will be touched by it is hard to say, but if not it will be somewhat compensated by the graphics and the sound I think (maybe this thought is a typical animation-trap).
The only thing I am sure of is that it won't be boring for a second.
Nicolas, if you give me your e-mail adress I send a clip.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Hisko, did you get my PMs from yesterday and the day before with my e-mail address and a request for a clip? I'd like to see your work very much.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
hisko

Post by hisko »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Hisko, did you get my PMs from yesterday and the day before with my e-mail address and a request for a clip? I'd like to see your work very much.
No, I didn't get it.
Could you try it again, please?
By the way, as I said in Amsterdam I still think that my films are not your cup of tea, but of course I'm interested in your opinion.
Paul Fierlinger

By the way, as I said in Amsterdam I still think that my films are not your cup of tea, but of course I'm interested in your opinion.
Sometimes I like to live dangerously. This is one of those cases. :) I think I know what I was doing wrong that you never got my messages. Now I'm sure it went through. Thanks in advance.
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

I got it and watched it.... and looked at it again, and again, and again... I've never before this watched a clip so many times over and over again. I think you have enormous drawing skills and a sense of drama. The paint brush effects are striking -- is this all done in TVP?! Would you mind describing a bit in detail how you work with paint and the drawing part too? I also like the way you have control over the viewer's eyes and get away with not having to animate every person in a crowd yet you give the impression that everyone is being pushed aside.
How long would you typically work on a scene like this one?

Great, great job.
Paul
hisko

Post by hisko »

Thanks Paul.
The backgroundpaintings are not done in tvpaint. I paint them with oilpaint on canvas (all 150 of them) and photograph tem.
I draw all animation directly in tvpaint with a pencil that was designed by Peter Wassink.
After it's colored flat in a layer beneath I use the lightning effect of the fxstack to use lightspots that correspond with the light on the paintings..
Than I make two shadowlayers, one for the overall shadows on the character, and one for the details to create more depth (I use a larger version of peter's pencil, but altered in a way that is only still possible in the betaversion of tvpaint9 (I can't say anything about those features)).
I have to say that I do use actors for reference. I made heads of clay for every character and filmed that from all angles, so that the construction of the head doesn't cost me any energy at all, because I place them on the bodies as brushes. I can completely focus on expressions now.
It costs me about a week to animate 5 seconds. But than it's not finished. I hate to think about the total time it takes to create a scene like this. Fortunately a very good animator in Belgium, called Stefan Vermeulen started to animate for my film since two months, so I hope it will go faster now.
I attached a photo of the clay heads.
Attachments
00 model 1 hoofdentotaal.jpg
Paul Fierlinger

This is a very elaborate process but it's warranted by the results. Since you describe in detail how you draw the outlines, the only slight criticism I felt was the cut-out look your a bit too heavy outlines create. The characters do suggest rotoscoping but I dismissed that notion right away. Your description here explains that now.

I understand the value of using models. In my next film I will have to draw many scenes of a sailboat so I am having a model of that particular boat built for me. Friends have asked me why not build a 3D animation model but I dismiss such ideas right away. There has to be a good degree of imperfection attached to art to make it an appreciable art form. Something that transpires in the brain between the eye observing a model and the brain giving signals to the hand is a visible snapshot of the soul.

It must take you a long time to work like this. But if you could paint/draw a feature film in less than three years (or not more than 2 1/2 including preproduction) I would gladly introduce you to my producers.
Paul
hisko

Post by hisko »

I think that you are right. A 3d model of the boat would not be a good idea in combination with your loose style of drawing.
And you may be right about the outlines, but it was a choice out of fear (those are the worst choices) that otherwise the drawings wouldn't communicate enough.
3 years for a feature film in this style is absolutely impossible (I can't even finish these 15 minutes within that time), but I do have a plan to make an animated feature based on an old Czech book that I would like to make in a simpler style, so one day I will certainly like to meet your producers.
There is a lot of money in Europe nowadays for co-productions, so there might be possibilities.
Can I ask you how much your film costs to make? Of course you don't have to answer that (i think you already did, but I forgot. I also forgot the story about Milos Forman that you told me, unfortunately).
Paul Fierlinger

I don't know exactly how much my film is costing the producers, but certainly not the 3 M rumored; more likely about half that price. The way it is done is that the producers (independent; two guys in NY, essentially) divide the property into parcels just like real estate people would do to sell out individual plots. If they cannot sell enough of these to cover the entire expense, they may venture to commence production in the belief that the rest will sell after more of the film becomes visible -- which I think was the case here.

The trick is to not be greedy. I am taking my share of the risk too by asking for a reasonable sum in cash payments throughout the production period in exchange for a larger percentage of the ownership of the property. These guys have my admiration in the risks they have taken with me, my age for instance (but they are even older :) ). I had not yet passed the 5 year limit needed to be labeled "cured " of a critical type of throat and neck cancer I had (I had 4 years at the time we started). I never made a theatrical feature before and I am not famous; I picked a book that at first glance has little story to it and they had never produced an animated film before.

They had to dole out a lot of money to insure me under these conditions. They had to pay a lot of money to secure star actors without which no one would pay any attention to the film once released... We also never met before but have become good friends and I don't have a single horror story to tell, which is pretty telling considering that the film is almost completed and that all three of us are old (cranky) geezers. :)
Paul
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

I like your clip. Fantastic tempo and action/reaction with the bodies.
I also think that there is a little cutout-effect that comes from the thickened outlines .Thinking of Beckmann-outlines this cannot be the reason for a cutout effect in total.
I think it has more to do with the color spectrum of the background (having a blue tone) and the acting characters (warm brown-red fundamental tone) seperating them.
As dramatic factor the lighting is well set.
I like your solid style in that dynamic motion, the overall mood reminds me slightly of Enki Bilal.
Great !
Attachments
Enki Bilal
Enki Bilal
enki_bilal.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 26716 times

Post by hisko »

Klaus Hoefs wrote: I like your solid style in that dynamic motion, the overall mood reminds me slightly of Enki Bilal.
Great !
That's not accidently. I used to be a big Bilal fan (especially the hunt), but nowadays I feel that his human characters are too stiff really.
And all characters are look-alikes.

Thanks for your compliments.
The cut-outeffect will probably remain, but I don't care. It also has a solid quality I think.
hisko

Post by hisko »

Paul Fierlinger wrote: I had not yet passed the 5 year limit needed to be labeled "cured " of a critical type of throat and neck cancer I had (I had 4 years at the time we started). I never made a theatrical feature before and I am not famous; I picked a book that at first glance has little story to it and they had never produced an animated film before. ....

We also never met before but have become good friends and I don't have a single horror story to tell, which is pretty telling considering that the film is almost completed and that all three of us are old (cranky) geezers. :)
That sounds like a dreamteam. Lucky you. So you cured of cancer and you met two guys willing to pay lots of money into your film. If I were a religious man, I would think that the bearded guy was behind this.
Last edited by hisko on 15 May 2008, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Fierlinger

I I were a religious man, I would think that the bearded guy was behind this.
I don't need to have any part of any religion to know that this can be so.
Paul