Erasing coloured lines using the sketch panel / TVPaint 12.0.1 Crashing when copy/cut to layer

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
tvpaint_newbie28824

Erasing coloured lines using the sketch panel / TVPaint 12.0.1 Crashing when copy/cut to layer

Post by tvpaint_newbie28824 »

Hello, I’ve recently downloaded TVPaint this summer and have been figuring out how to use it. When I run into issues, I’m not sure if it’s me being a newbie or the software but either I would like to find out and improve!

Right now I’m encountering a problem where when I click any of the ‘erase’ a specific colour buttons in the sketch panel all my lines end up having a black outline and look very pixelated. I’ve attached a before and after of me only pressing the erase button for the dark blue colour to show the problem. This is the only layer visible in the project. If someone can please explain why this happens and how to avoid this problem that would be great! I just want to erase all the dark blue lines and keep the pink ones.

Before I click the button to erase the dark blue lines:
Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 16.52.48.png
After I click it:
Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 16.52.52.png
Details about what I’m using:
macOS Sonoma 14.6.1
Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
TVPaint 12.0.1 Pro
Intuos PT S
Last edited by tvpaint_newbie28824 on 06 Sep 2024, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Re: Erasing coloured lines using the sketch panel

Post by slowtiger »

Confirmed in 11: if you use pure and pastel intermittently, like drawing pastel and eraseing same colour pure, some strange effects may appen when erasing, so far that something completely erased shows up again in grey.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
tvpaint_newbie28824

slowtiger wrote: 03 Sep 2024, 17:12 Confirmed in 11: if you use pure and pastel intermittently, like drawing pastel and eraseing same colour pure, some strange effects may appen when erasing, so far that something completely erased shows up again in grey.
Thank you for checking this for me! I've only been using the 'pastel' tools in the sketch panel though as I didn't realise there were more than one version of the sketch panel tools!
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

tvpaint_newbie28824 wrote: 03 Sep 2024, 16:09 Right now I’m encountering a problem where when I click any of the ‘erase’ a specific colour buttons in the sketch panel all my lines end up having a black outline and look very pixelated. I’ve attached a before and after of me only pressing the erase button for the dark blue colour to show the problem. This is the only layer visible in the project. If someone can please explain why this happens and how to avoid this problem that would be great! I just want to erase all the dark blue lines and keep the pink ones.
Hello tvpaint_newbie28824,
The "Erase" buttons in the Sketch Panel works only with specific colors (RGB : red, green, blue and black / Pastel : red, green, blue, magenta, yellow, cyan and black). These colors have specific "ID", so if you try to erase a color with not the same "ID", it will erase a part of the color with some "glitch". If you need to use the ERASE buttons from the Sketch Panel, you need to use the colors PenBrush from the Sketch Panel which use the right colors "ID".
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 AMD Ryzen 7 7745HX with Radeon Graphics CPU @ 3.60 GHz,
32 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.3 and 12 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
tvpaint_newbie28824

Léo wrote: 04 Sep 2024, 07:09
tvpaint_newbie28824 wrote: 03 Sep 2024, 16:09 Right now I’m encountering a problem where when I click any of the ‘erase’ a specific colour buttons in the sketch panel all my lines end up having a black outline and look very pixelated. I’ve attached a before and after of me only pressing the erase button for the dark blue colour to show the problem. This is the only layer visible in the project. If someone can please explain why this happens and how to avoid this problem that would be great! I just want to erase all the dark blue lines and keep the pink ones.
The "Erase" buttons in the Sketch Panel works only with specific colors (RGB : red, green, blue and black / Pastel : red, green, blue, magenta, yellow, cyan and black). These colors have specific "ID", so if you try to erase a color with not the same "ID", it will erase a part of the color with some "glitch". If you need to use the ERASE buttons from the Sketch Panel, you need to use the colors PenBrush from the Sketch Panel which use the right colors "ID".
So if I draw something using the sketch panel, I have to use the exact same corresponding colour eraser to delete it? That is what I have been doing I'm afraid. I used the pastel dark blue pen to draw those lines and clicked the dark blue eraser button in the pastel section to try and erase those dark blue lines, but it ends up affecting the whole drawing.
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

I can't reproduce your issue, you should maybe reset your configuration, it could solve it.
Here is the procedure for Mac:

• First, export your custom settings, panels, palettes (etc.) as explained here
• Click on the “Finder” icon
• On the top bar, there’s a menu called “Go”. Click on it while holding your “option” (alt) key: you should then see a “Library” folder in the list. Click on it.
• Search for a folder called “TVPaint Animation 12 Pro”
• This is your configuration folder. Rename it and restart TVPaint (TVPaint will automatically create a new configuration folder called " TVPaint Animation 12 Pro ").

Note that this will affect you current configuration of TVPaint. You can still revert back to your old configuration in case the procedure wasn't helpful. You will simply have to delete the new "TVPaint Animation 12 Pro” folder and rename the previous one to "TVPaint Animation 12 Pro".

If the procedure was successful, import the settings and panels you had previously exported.

-------------

In case it's still there, could you send me a screenshot of your timeline when the issue occurs ?
Léo Fernandez
tvpaint_newbie28824

Léo wrote: 06 Sep 2024, 08:24 Hello tvpaint_newbie28824,

I can't reproduce your issue, you should maybe reset your configuration, it could solve it.
Here is the procedure for Mac:

• First, export your custom settings, panels, palettes (etc.) as explained here
• Click on the “Finder” icon
• On the top bar, there’s a menu called “Go”. Click on it while holding your “option” (alt) key: you should then see a “Library” folder in the list. Click on it.
• Search for a folder called “TVPaint Animation 12 Pro”
• This is your configuration folder. Rename it and restart TVPaint (TVPaint will automatically create a new configuration folder called " TVPaint Animation 12 Pro ").

Note that this will affect you current configuration of TVPaint. You can still revert back to your old configuration in case the procedure wasn't helpful. You will simply have to delete the new "TVPaint Animation 12 Pro” folder and rename the previous one to "TVPaint Animation 12 Pro".

If the procedure was successful, import the settings and panels you had previously exported.

-------------

In case it's still there, could you send me a screenshot of your timeline when the issue occurs ?
Thank you! I followed these instructions to reset my TVPaint configuration. I have already moved on with the project I was working on that had this issue and so have lost the drawings where this bug was occuring. I tested the sketch panel brushes on a new project though and they seemed to be working fine! If this issue comes up again I will let you know and send you a screenshot of my timeline as well.

Can I delete the TVPaint folder I renamed?

Also, how can I save my current configuration of TVPaint? The only things I changed from the default configuration were having the right-side drawer of tools locked and visible, and having my own shortcuts keymap. It seems like since I reset the configuration, I have to manually add these things back in each time I open TVPaint now (i.e. even though I loaded my own shortcuts keymap previously, I have to reload it each time I open the app). Is there a way to keep these custom settings as the default so I don't have to add them back each time I start the programme?
tvpaint_newbie28824

I'm also now having problems with TVPaint 12.0.1 crashing whenever I try to select part of a drawing on a layer and click 'copy to layer' or 'cut to layer' as I am trying to transfer part of my drawing on one layer to another layer. My file size is only 20.3MB so I'm not sure why it's crashing so easily. This problem combined with the fact that I have to reload my shortcuts keymap each time I re-open the programme after it crashes is also making it more inconvenient😅

(I am at the moment using my wacom cintiq-22, not an intuos tablet)
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

tvpaint_newbie28824 wrote: 06 Sep 2024, 20:20 Can I delete the TVPaint folder I renamed?
Yes you can delete this folder if your new configuration works well :)
tvpaint_newbie28824 wrote: 06 Sep 2024, 20:20 Also, how can I save my current configuration of TVPaint? The only things I changed from the default configuration were having the right-side drawer of tools locked and visible, and having my own shortcuts keymap. It seems like since I reset the configuration, I have to manually add these things back in each time I open TVPaint now (i.e. even though I loaded my own shortcuts keymap previously, I have to reload it each time I open the app). Is there a way to keep these custom settings as the default so I don't have to add them back each time I start the programme?
You can save your config folder somewhere else as a backup, you can also save the config of the interface from the rooms (Right-Click on the little house on the back right of TVPaint and choose save).
Regarding the Shortcut, you can save all your Keymaps from the Shortcut Panel and choose Files > Save KeyMaps. It will save a .cfg file you will have the possibility to use if you have to reset your config or use on another TVPaint.
If your startup config is in "Remember the last used configuration" it should keep these custom settings as the default when you strat TVPaint.
tvpaint_newbie28824 wrote: 06 Sep 2024, 20:45 I'm also now having problems with TVPaint 12.0.1 crashing whenever I try to select part of a drawing on a layer and click 'copy to layer' or 'cut to layer' as I am trying to transfer part of my drawing on one layer to another layer. My file size is only 20.3MB so I'm not sure why it's crashing so easily. This problem combined with the fact that I have to reload my shortcuts keymap each time I re-open the programme after it crashes is also making it more inconvenient😅

(I am at the moment using my wacom cintiq-22, not an intuos tablet)
You should open TVPaint once, import your keymaps and your custom interface and then close TVPaint. It will save everything, so if it crash, it will keep the previous settings you've prepared.
By the way if you need to transfer one frame from one layer to another, you just have to select your frame in the timeline and drag it on the other layer, when you will release your click, you will have the choice between "Copy & Overwrite here" or "Copy & Insert here". So no need to click on 'copy to layer' or 'cut to layer'.
Léo Fernandez