TVPaint 11 keeps crashing

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
dmceachern

Re: TVPaint 11 keeps crashing

Post by dmceachern »

Agneta wrote: 27 Aug 2024, 13:48 Hello,

resetting configuration didn't help. neither line smoothing.

While drawing a circle or an ellipse, it is beeing drawn not „round". Sometimes it looks correct, sometimes it looks „angular“.

here is what I am talking about:
I get similar flat spots in 11.7.1. I think it might be due to the Rosetta emulation in Mac OS, since 11.7.1 isn’t native to the ARM chips and the problem disappeared when I installed the11.7.3 version which was native for the ARM chips, but sadly very unstable. This is assuming you are on a M1 or up Mac, of course.
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

dmceachern wrote: 30 Aug 2024, 02:08
Agneta wrote: 27 Aug 2024, 13:48 Hello,

resetting configuration didn't help. neither line smoothing.

While drawing a circle or an ellipse, it is beeing drawn not „round". Sometimes it looks correct, sometimes it looks „angular“.

here is what I am talking about:
I get similar flat spots in 11.7.1. I think it might be due to the Rosetta emulation in Mac OS, since 11.7.1 isn’t native to the ARM chips and the problem disappeared when I installed the11.7.3 version which was native for the ARM chips, but sadly very unstable. This is assuming you are on a M1 or up Mac, of course.

Thanks for the clarification, dmceachern!
Yes, that seems like a reasonable explanation indeed. Yes, I have a M1 Prozessor. (with 32. RAM. so it shouldn’t be due to small Computer performance or smth.)

Which „solution“ have you then chosen, if I may ask? Are you using the 11.7.1 Version, accepting the already mentioned flaws, or the 11.7.3 accepting the random crashes?
MacBook Pro. Chip: Apple M1 Pro. Mac OS: Sonoma (Version 14.6.1) RAM: 32 Gb
Wacom: Cintiq Pro 24 P (Driver Version: 6.4.7-2)
TVPaint 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits)
dmceachern

Post by dmceachern »

I’m using the 11.7.1 version. 11.7.3 was pretty much unusable for any length of time. Sooooooo many crashes. I get fewer flat spots if I slow way down when drawing, but that does sorta short circuit my natural way of drawing, particularly with ellipses. Really wish the crashing would get sorted soon.
dmceachern

Post by dmceachern »

Also to add, for my professional work (I work in Edtech on a small team as the only animator) I’ve had to switch to a rather well known competitor for animation because of what I perceive as a lack of urgency with anything related to the Mac platform, i.e. not keeping the software compatible with new OS’s being the big one (The company I work for demands up to date OS on my work Mac for security reasons and TvPaint often breaks when a new OS is released.) and still not having a fully functioning version of TVPaint for Apple Silicon that works for everyone over four years after the initial announcement. This is of course my perception and I understand software development is challenging and I love TV Paint when it’s working well, but patience is getting a little thin and I’m starting to consider said competitor for my personal work as well. This is all a very long winded way of saying that while I am using 11.7.1, it’s only on my personal projects so I’m not putting in the drawing mileage I have in the past, so the brush lag may be intolerable for me if I really needed to work in it for more than a few hours a week.
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

dmceachern wrote: 30 Aug 2024, 21:59 Also to add, for my professional work (I work in Edtech on a small team as the only animator) I’ve had to switch to a rather well known competitor for animation because of what I perceive as a lack of urgency with anything related to the Mac platform, i.e. not keeping the software compatible with new OS’s being the big one (The company I work for demands up to date OS on my work Mac for security reasons and TvPaint often breaks when a new OS is released.) and still not having a fully functioning version of TVPaint for Apple Silicon that works for everyone over four years after the initial announcement. This is of course my perception and I understand software development is challenging and I love TV Paint when it’s working well, but patience is getting a little thin and I’m starting to consider said competitor for my personal work as well. This is all a very long winded way of saying that while I am using 11.7.1, it’s only on my personal projects so I’m not putting in the drawing mileage I have in the past, so the brush lag may be intolerable for me if I really needed to work in it for more than a few hours a week.
Thank you for an honest answer! Yes, I agree with all the points, you’ve mentioned and I personally have similar thoughts on the topic. Unfortunately I need Tv Paint for my project and "the said competitor“ wouldn’t be an option in my case, so the only thing left to do is- to grind my teeth together, be patient and wait for the fix.
MacBook Pro. Chip: Apple M1 Pro. Mac OS: Sonoma (Version 14.6.1) RAM: 32 Gb
Wacom: Cintiq Pro 24 P (Driver Version: 6.4.7-2)
TVPaint 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits)
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hello,

I don't have a date yet, but the fix for the random crashes on macOS will come out this month for both TVPaint 11 and 12, likely within the next two weeks.
JGrande

Post by JGrande »

Help ! I have a really urgent need of TVPAINT and it keeps crashing on my macbook pro M2 max,it seems to be a commun issue for mac users with 11.7.3 but is ther any chance to find a previous version of the software somewhere ?