No Right Click functionality with any stylus

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
petescalzitti

No Right Click functionality with any stylus

Post by petescalzitti »

Hello again everyone!

I can't seem to get any right click functionality in TVPaint, and I'm hoping to figure it out soon- I've tried two stylus- Surface Slim Pen 2, and Renaisser Raphael 520c both to no avail. Right clicking works outside of TVPaint, so I know it's a software issue and not a hardware one.

I'm working on a Surface Laptop Studio 2, which I bought exclusively to work in TVPaint because of it's great touch screen, and powerful CPU and GPU- also 64 GB ram! I'm admittedly so sad I can't get this figured out!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could go about getting right clicks working? Otherwise I can't see myself using the laptop, and am considering returning (which is too bad, becuase it's a FANTASTIC way to work, if I only had the ability to right click...)

Please let me know any tips or thoughts if any of you have them! Even if they're extremely complicated! Happy to tweak the codes if I need to get this working... my deadline is 1month away!

Thanks in advance!
-Pete
Peter Wassink

Re: No Right Click functionality with any stylus

Post by Peter Wassink »

dit the wintab/Ink option in the preferences do anything for you?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
kelanhordos

Post by kelanhordos »

I haven't really tested out if it works as well as having your stylus button to right-click, but there is a shortcut under tools > right mouse button that you could try and see if that works?
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 12 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.5-5
petescalzitti

Post by petescalzitti »

Thank you both! Kelanhordos's suggestion is the way I went- I remapped Right Click to a key stroke, then mapped that keystroke to a touch button (via the fantastic app for touch screens, Tablet Pro Studio- I highly recommend if anyone else is working on a Surface Laptop Studio, normal Surface, or Mobile Studio Pro!)

I never got the Stylus to function correctly, but by pressing this little onscreen button (which I mapped to "X", which is what I mapped the right click to within TVPaint), I can click that button, then a modifier button I made for Alt, THEN drag and get the zoom. Still an extra step, but still pretty fast, I just tap these two virtual buttons I made on the side of the screen, then I can drag and scale, then tap them again to disable.

I wonder why the actual button on the stylus won't play nice with TVPaint... it works with every other app within Windows so far... wish I could figure that one out!

But this temporary solution will get me through, so thanks for the advice!
-Pete
kelanhordos

Post by kelanhordos »

Are you using v12 by chance? Because there is also a new shortcut in v12 not available in v11 under interface > Panning & Zoom (Held) which functions the same as holding alt, but allows you to map it to another button such as spacebar to mimic other programs that use space for the functions alt does in TVpaint. Not sure if that is helpful, but something that you might look at. There is also interface > Zoom (held with left click) which would allow you to use another shortcut key and zoom with a left click instead of a right click if you happen to have left mouse button working in Tvpaint.
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 12 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.5-5
petescalzitti

Post by petescalzitti »

Thanks again kelanhordos- I'm still in 11.7 Pro.

I considered upgrading to 12, and upgrades looks fantastic, but I have everything I need in the awesome 11.7 EXCEPT this remapping ability- but I can't justify paying the upgrade cost when all I need it for to remap the right click, haha. Remapping a right click isn't worth $800 for me (though sometimes it feels like it!)

If any developers are reading this, I for one would be SO GRATEFUL if this functionality could be added to TVPaint 11.7, but I get that perhaps they've moved on to 12...

Thanks again for the help!
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Petescalzitti, since you are working on a Surface device, there is a probability that the stylus doesn't behave like your typical Wacom/XP-Pen.
Could you try Peter Wassink's advice and set the drawing mode to "Wintab", then tick the "Subpixel" option in the TVPaint Preferences panel, please?
Probably a vampire