ICA (Scanner) not working on MacOS

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

ICA (Scanner) not working on MacOS

Post by D.T. Nethery »

This is an old , old issue, but with the advent of a new version of TVPaint (v12) it seems like it is worth bringing to the attention of the Development Team:

I can not use my scanner to scan directly into TVPaint, using File menu > ICA . TVPaint detects my scanner (Brother MFC-6490CW) , but when the scanner interface opens it is blank. It is not possible to scan directly from the scanner into TVPaint to use menu functions Create New Project , Create New Layer, Append to Current Layer, Create New Clip.

My scanner is an older model, however the scanner functions fine with the ICA driver using other software , such as Adobe Photoshop, Apple's Image Capture , and VueScan .
I'm trying to confirm if this is only a problem on my end using this older scanner , or does the File menu > ICA > Scan function simply not work with any scanner in TVPaint?

My usual workflow for scanning drawings is to scan them in VueScan, saving all the scans named sequentially (0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, 0003.jpg, etc.) in a folder , then importing them into TVPaint. This works fine , but it seems to me as long as there is a function listed in the menu (File > ICA > Scan) it should work or else it would be better to remove it from the menu to avoid confusion, because there is no reason for a non-functional feature to be listed in the menu of options, right ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Léo
Site Admin

Re: ICA (Scanner) not working on MacOS

Post by Léo »

Hello David,
The ICA option has been removed on TVPaint Animation 12 (all OS).
Your issue is probably on TVPaint Animation 11 due to some drivers compatibility between the scanner and TVPaint.
Even if the scanner appears in the list, unfortunatelly it does not work.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 07 Aug 2024, 12:36 My usual workflow for scanning drawings is to scan them in VueScan, saving all the scans named sequentially (0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, 0003.jpg, etc.) in a folder , then importing them into TVPaint. This works fine , but it seems to me as long as there is a function listed in the menu (File > ICA > Scan) it should work or else it would be better to remove it from the menu to avoid confusion, because there is no reason for a non-functional feature to be listed in the menu of options, right ?
I think your scan workfllow via VueScan is the best for what you need to do.
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 AMD Ryzen 7 7745HX with Radeon Graphics CPU @ 3.60 GHz,
32 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.3 and 12 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Léo wrote: 07 Aug 2024, 13:24 Hello David,
The ICA option has been removed on TVPaint Animation 12 (all OS).
Your issue is probably on TVPaint Animation 11 due to some drivers compatibility between the scanner and TVPaint.
Yes, I was referring to TVPaint 11.7.3 . I just noticed the ICA option was removed from TVPaint 12.

Is it also the same for TVPaint on Windows using TWAIN scanner drivers ?
Léo wrote: 07 Aug 2024, 13:24 Even if the scanner appears in the list, unfortunately it does not work.
Yes. That's the problem. So that is what I was hoping could be fixed. (this is a long standing request, "To-Do" listed long ago, but I noticed another recent post where someone was asking for help with scanning drawings into TVPaint, which reminded me of it ...)
Léo wrote: 07 Aug 2024, 13:24
D.T. Nethery wrote: 07 Aug 2024, 12:36 My usual workflow for scanning drawings is to scan them in VueScan, saving all the scans named sequentially (0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, 0003.jpg, etc.) in a folder , then importing them into TVPaint. This works fine , but it seems to me as long as there is a function listed in the menu (File > ICA > Scan) it should work or else it would be better to remove it from the menu to avoid confusion, because there is no reason for a non-functional feature to be listed in the menu of options, right ?
I think your scan workfllow via VueScan is the best for what you need to do.
Yes, that works fine and it is what I usually advise people to do for scanning drawings in TVPaint , but remembering that the ICA option is still in the File menu and it still doesn't work after all these years, I wanted to mention it again, to see if it would be possible for it to be fixed. But if the ICA scanning option is now removed from TVPaint 12 and TVPaint 11 will no longer be officially supported (even though many people still use TVPaint 11) I suppose it is irrelevant.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, this is indeed an oversight, as internal TVPaint scanner features should have ceased to appear completely, since scanning the drawings outside of TVPaint remains the most efficient worflow, as it is impossible to compete with the manufacturer's official drivers from a functionality standpoint.
Probably a vampire