TVPAINT 12 Crashing a lot:((((

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
yalih

TVPAINT 12 Crashing a lot:((((

Post by yalih »

whenever I try to edit clips on the timeline especially when adding sound and music too.
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/yali[/vimeo]
RjLikesToDraw

Re: TVPAINT 12 Crashing a lot:((((

Post by RjLikesToDraw »

TvPaint 12 just feels really unstable. I've encountered so many things that feel like bugs but sometimes it's just the change in the architecture, then other times I've run into some flat out hair-pulling bugs and crashes that never happened in any version of TVP 11 I've owned Just a list of examples I've run into in the past few days
- TVPaint 12 crashed when I selected "Change room."
- Sometimes the timeline will completely overlap the canvas, seize up then crash.
- Once I had to completely reset TVP 12 just after importing all of my custom panels and brushes I was using in TVP 11.
- For whatever reason when I adjusted the key bindings for "Color picker" (I put color picker at G and H) suddenly the program forgot how to draw. Not a crash, but I had to restart for the second time in 5 minutes... before giving up and going back to TVP 11 to finish working.
- You will open a file and the program will just not respond. Force it to respond by dragging the project into TVP it will open, and if the file is big - crash.

Then there's the changes that just bug me:
- When you use the navigator and then try to use the screen drag shortcut (Alt) immediately after, you will accidentally create a new line. Now for some reason you have to click the canvas first to reset it and THEN drag. There is no longer and intuitive way to quickly get the paper exactly at the right zoom and where you want the drawing. I think this is because the new panels can be moved to another monitor, but I've always worked on one monitor so The option to switch between old style (Where all the panels are in the program only) and new style would be much appreciated. If thats already a thing please tell me how to enable it.

- When you do a video playback by pressing spacebar, the playback head stays in "play" mode. So, if you want to do a playback, stop then immediately use your arrow keys to flip through a specific part (Like you can in TVP11) you just can't. Instead, now you HAVE to find and click the square stop playback option before doing it or press ESC to disable it. What used to be [Spacebar] - [Spacebar] - [Arrow keys] is now [Spacebar] - [Spacebar] - [esc] - [Arrow keys]
Mind you, esc is on the opposite side of your keyboard so it just feels clunky to reach for. It's no longer smooth and intuitive. It feels like you're being punished for knowing keyboard shortcuts.

- The folders option is great on paper can be a nightmare when you an animator that flips using arrow keys. Did you accidentally press the down or up arrow while flipping and land on a folder layer? Enjoy being stuck using freehand selection tools. If you realize you accidentally went to a different layer and just use the arrow keys to get back to your drawing layer, it doesn't reset you back to your previous tool (like it does with the camera layer). You have to stop, hunt down the main panel tool window assuming its minimized or offscreen and click the pen tool. Again, being forced to stop in the middle of intuitive actions is an annoyance and a time sink. It feels like you're being punished for trying to work in a streamlined manner.

- Why doesn't F11 do a rendered full screen playback anymore?
*Edit: I referenced my TVP11 bindings to see what was happening and changed it back to the fullscreen playback only to find out to my horror that all the panels stay on screen when you do this completely nullifying the point of the playback in fullscreen. Seriously, PLEASE institute a way to lock the panels into the program. I work on one monitor and the panels being loose from it, showing up on seperate tabs, etc are driving me up a wall.

EDIT: I was able disable multi-screen panels and NOW it works as it did before.

- What was so wrong with being able to drag the edge of the timeline to see notes and sound? You could access that information or shrink it at any time. The three dots don't feel anywhere near as intuitive or freeform. now it's those buttons at the bottom of the layers or bust.

- In TVP 11 when I drag the edge of the top of the timeline the canvas scales up or down. In TVP12 the canvas stays the exact size meaning I spend more time trying to get the exact right spot on the canvas instead of drawing. correction: Ignore this, it works the same as in TVP 11 when the canvas is zoomed in. I just double checked both.

TVP 12 just makes me realize how ergonomic TVP11 really was. The things you want to do were all so close to each other that it felt like a natural extension of things. It feels natural to look at your canvas and find audio/notes between your canvas and timeline if you just drag. It feels natural to scale your timeline down and have the canvas resize with it. It feels natural to have the playback head automatically stop when spacebar is pressed so you can play through a scene then flip when appropriate. TVP12 I feel really needs some cleanup. I've been waiting for other people's impressions between software to write this out but it's bee a while and I'm not seeing a lot of responses. trust the dev team will bugfix, but they can't bugfix if nobody complains.

Right now, I just don't want to open my big projects in TVP12.
Last edited by RjLikesToDraw on 17 Aug 2024, 23:01, edited 2 times in total.
Senneman

Re: TVPAINT 12 Crashing a lot:((((

Post by Senneman »

RjLikesToDraw wrote: 02 Jul 2024, 07:59 - Sometimes the timeline will completely overlap the canvas, seize up then crash.
This bug is driving me nuts !!!
When I work in TVPaint, I hide the timeline a lot to have more space to draw. And it just keep on flashing over the screen. This bug is even so awful that I can't even draw anymore. Seriously!!!! :roll:
So, I'm sticking to TVP11 as well. Version 12 crashes way too much and feels chaotic.