TVP not recognizing HEVC with alpha? Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Greg Lawson

TVP not recognizing HEVC with alpha?

Post by Greg Lawson »

I just tried, without success, to import an HEVC file with alpha in TVP 11.5 Pro. The alpha channel is read as an opaque black background. Does TVP not recognize HEVC plus alpha?
slowtiger

Re: TVP not recognizing HEVC with alpha?

Post by slowtiger »

Have you checked the manual if this format is supported at all?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Greg Lawson wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:50 I just tried, without success, to import an HEVC file with alpha in TVP 11.5 Pro. The alpha channel is read as an opaque black background. Does TVP not recognize HEVC plus alpha?
Did you try adjusting the alpha settings ?
https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... image-anim

Did you try another video format ? HEVC is quite recent, so the support may be incomplete in TVPaint.
If you don't mind I'd be interested to get a sample, to understand what happens.
Greg Lawson

Post by Greg Lawson »

slowtiger wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 14:27 Have you checked the manual if this format is supported at all?
Although it isn't mentioned in the manual, the updating of the manual occasionally lags behind regarding recent developments, so I asked in case there was more recent info. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Greg Lawson

Post by Greg Lawson »

Xavier wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 15:21
Greg Lawson wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:50 I just tried, without success, to import an HEVC file with alpha in TVP 11.5 Pro. The alpha channel is read as an opaque black background. Does TVP not recognize HEVC plus alpha?
Did you try adjusting the alpha settings ?
https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... image-anim

Did you try another video format ? HEVC is quite recent, so the support may be incomplete in TVPaint.
If you don't mind I'd be interested to get a sample, to understand what happens.
Yes, I tried all the various alpha options before writing. No luck. It is only the alpha which doesn't load, no problem with other formats, or HEVC without alpha.
I'll send you a sample via PM. Thanks, Xavier!
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Thanks for the samples :)

So, first thing I noticed : even in VLC, your sample with alpha appears as black. I couldn't find any setting to make the alpha transparent. Both VLC and TVPaint rely on FFMpeg, so I'm not that surprised ...

Have you tried with another older codec ?
Greg Lawson

Post by Greg Lawson »

Xavier wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 12:46 Thanks for the samples :)

So, first thing I noticed : even in VLC, your sample with alpha appears as black. I couldn't find any setting to make the alpha transparent. Both VLC and TVPaint rely on FFMpeg, so I'm not that surprised ...

Have you tried with another older codec ?
I haven't tried any older codec, and wouldn't have a clue what to try. Any suggestions?

HEVC with alpha seems to work in both macos and ios versioins of iMovie and with ios LumaFusion, in case that sheds any light. I don't have access to AfterEffects so can't test that. Curious if any solutions turn up in the future. Thanks for the help in the meantime! :-)
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

HEVC is equivalent to H.265. You may try H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) or H.263, though I cannot guarantee that you'll have more success.

The best solution would rather be to export your scene as a sequence of PNG images.
Greg Lawson

Post by Greg Lawson »

Xavier wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 15:01 HEVC is equivalent to H.265. You may try H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) or H.263, though I cannot guarantee that you'll have more success.

The best solution would rather be to export your scene as a sequence of PNG images.
Indeed, PNG seems to be the way to go for the time being. Once again, thank you for your follow up and suggestions.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

You're welcome :) glad to help ! (and YES : the codec world is a dense jungle ^^)