Eraser Issues Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Re: Eraser Issues

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 15:27 Well in the meantime I implemented the solution 4: when drawing filled shapes using the stylus, if you flip the stylus then the drawing mode is switched to erase (F4).
This works , when drawing filled shape , flipping the stylus to the eraser the drawing mode (filled shape) is switched to erase mode.

However, I had previously followed the suggestion to change my Wacom stylus eraser tip to "Right Click" , but now if I use any drawing mode other than filled shape the eraser tip of the stylus does not erase. What is odd is that I can see the tool switch to Erase in the tool panel when I flip the stylus over , but it does not erase.

So I went back to Wacom preferences and changed the eraser tip from "Right Click" to "Erase". Now the eraser tip of the stylus functions again in any drawing mode except for Filled Shape, which has returned to the previous behavior described in the first post , where turning the stylus over results in the erase tip continuing to draw in Filled Shape mode.

I find that I go back and forth between using the Wacom stylus lower button set to "Right Click" to erase with vs. using the Eraser end of the stylus. Sometimes , depending on what kind of project I am working on , I want to use the Wacom stylus pen buttons for a different function than Right Click , so in that case I want to be able to use the Eraser end of the stylus as intended , to erase.

As I consider it, I find that I rarely use Filled Stroke to Erase , so I suppose the recent fix that was implemented doesn't really effect me and if it makes life easier for the people using Filled Stroke to erase , that's a good thing. I will leave my Wacom stylus eraser set to Erase (in the Wacom preferences) and use it as needed for erasing pen or pencil strokes , but if I need to use Filled Stroke as an eraser I'll press on the stylus button set to Right Click to erase using the Filled Stroke or I can use shortcuts F4 and F2 to toggle between erase mode and drawing mode when using Filled Stroke.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

I ended up rolling-back this change in the last build. It had too many side effects on the drawing behaviour, even more if you consider the amount of different graphic tablets.

But thanks for your feedback !
acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart »

Yeah, as soon as someone pointed out the right click erase technique for the filled stroke, it made everything a lot easier.
Using that instead of flipping to erase is so much better. But when I'm using a pencil or pen, it feels more natural to flip to eraser so that's never going to change. But right click to erase or subtract selection is great.
vermatisans

Post by vermatisans »

Hello All,
I have Wacom Cintiq 13 and I am facing similar Issue. Here Step by Step.

1. I start drawing (either paper texture On or Off ) using Chinese Ink Brush given in the Panel.
2. The moment I flip my pen to ERASE the lines, THE STORY BEGINS. I can now erase without any problems through the bottom part of the PEN.
3. Now I flip the Pen again to draw and fill. DRAWING IS OK but FILL automatically gets turned into ERASE mode. I then Change with my WACOM pen from ERASE to BEHIND, It again goes back into ERASE mode.
4. This happens only with WACOM pen not with MOUSE. MOUSE works OK.

Any help folks, please guide. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

First, check the build date : go to Help->About, it is shown in the title bar of the popup window.
If you build date is before the 08/12/20, you have to get the update from your TVPaint account.