TabletPC and tvpaint

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

One other thing. Beware buying technology from the US. if you are in the UK. You will get hit with lots of extra taxes! and duties. I was all set to get a Motion machine but the extra duties added up to nearly £700. God bless the revenue!
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

cheers.
UK Prices kill me everytime. I just don't get why the prices in are usually 150%-200% of the US prices. It doesn't make any sense. The listed price of the C210 in the US is around $1800 and in the UK it starts only at 1300GBP (for the weaker models). That's true to almost all machines.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your ideas about it.
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Yeah. We do get a raw deal. It must be the taxes I guess.

Though I'm not sure that can explain the fact that a Wacom Cintiq is the same in pounds as it is in dollas - ouch!
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

aye. dollars might be weak, but the states bends with it. the queen reserves right to stand tall. Not justly i'd add.

I was only thinking of the US option because I have someone who's coming over and can bring it with her, so I skip the tax!

I just need to decide which tablet I want within the next 2 weeks.

and the more I read about the more I'm confused. I would have bought a Lenovo x60/x61, but recently a flaw in manufacture was found, so I don't want to need to send my laptop to a lab in the states. Other option are the Fujitsu T2010, HP 2710p, or maybe even the Motion computing LE1700, although it is 40% more expensive than the above ones.
gekim

Post by gekim »

have you checked out tabletpcreview dot com site? i go there alot and found out that the gateway c-140x is the most powerful at the moment.

*Convertible notebook/tablet
*up to 2.4 ghz (800 mhz 4mb L2 cache) - intel core duo (santa rosa)
*up to 4 gb ram (667 mhz)
*512 level pressure sensitivity (most tablet pcs released after april this year were upgraded to 512)
*14" display WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 768 max. resolution)
*Executive Stylus (by WACOM)
*dedicated graphics card ATI Radeon X2300 HD (most tablet pc's don't have one or use the poor intel graphics)
*hard drive 100gb 7200 RPM
*Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module
*8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM
*Integrated Intel 3945 802.11a/ b/ g wireless networking

other tablets to also consider is the
*Fujitsu T4220
*Toshiba Portege M400
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

yeah, I saw it too. the gateway is one of the cheapest too. But the models of the The toshiba and the Fujitsu have successors already. Not yet widely available, but soon. I've been looking at the gateway, but then read that Acer has just bought Gateway, which might affect support for this. furthermore, it has a bigger than most screen, but resolution is still quite small (1024x768). I'm trying to find a tablet with a SXGA resolution (1280x1024).

But the fact that tablets have upgraded to 512 levels of sensitivity is news to me, and good news it is. Thanks!
hato

Post by hato »

Hellooo,

I am also interested by a tablet pc and I found a small comparative:
http://www.tabletpc2.com/Compare.htm
:lol:
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

The Motion Computing LE1600 is still an awesome tablet and it is very cheap now... If you are just sketching ideas and doing rough animation, do you need the latest greatest features?
------
Yojimbo
The last man standing with a fist full of dollars
hato

Post by hato »

Yojimbo wrote:The Motion Computing LE1600 is still an awesome tablet and it is very cheap now... If you are just sketching ideas and doing rough animation, do you need the latest greatest features?
No. I do not think, I thought buy myself one for the same thing and it is sufficient... Sorry I not very good in English... ex: fujitsu-siemens 4120
399 € (e-bay)
:oops:
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

if you live in UK and in London, I would suggest to visit the computer fairs on saturday around Tottenham court road.

My friend Omar sometime has second hand Tablet PC. He is the guy I buy from.

Olive